Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Top 10 Summer Reads for Moms

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

Yeah I know what you are thinking. WHEN do I have time to read?? Well make the time!

Whether you're on the beach, porch, or couch, summer is the best time to open a book and step into another world. Most of these stories will take you to the seacoast or the countryside with intriguing characters who have a lot to learn. Find the best page-turner or tearjerker to go with your glass of lemonade or wine.

slide 0

Sweet Life

By Mia King

This easy read will transport you to Hawaii, where the main character, Marissa Price, and her family move for her husband's new job. But backwoods island life and being a first-time stay-at-home mom bring more challenges than Marissa expects, including events that threaten her marriage. The story explores motherhood, marriage, and Hawaiian life and cuisine (there are even a few recipes included at the end of the book!).

slide 1

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

By Susan Gregg Gilmore

This book might remind you of To Kill a Mockingbird, with its main character, Catherine Grace, reminiscent of Scout. The story starts in the early 1970s with young Catherine dreaming of leaving her rural Georgia hometown and preacher father behind to move to the big city, Atlanta. But after she finally leaves, tragedy pulls her right back home to discover what was actually sweet about her childhood. Have some ice cream on hand because the Dairy Queen references will make you crave it!

slide 2

The Art of Racing in the Rain

By Garth Stein

It may sound strange, but this novel is told from the perspective of a dog. Enzo, a lab terrier mix, is truly man's best friend to his owner, Denny, an aspiring professional racecar driver. Enzo stands by Denny as he's losing his wife to cancer and his daughter to a tangled custody battle with his in-laws. The cute pup on the cover doesn't mean this book is all warm and fuzzy, but the story is ultimately uplifting and definitely a page-turner.

slide 3

Little Earthquakes

By Jennifer Weiner

New moms will find details they can relate to in this novel about four women who meet by chance while they're living in Philadelphia and adjusting to the trials of motherhood. You'll see that even in fiction, parenthood and perfection just don't go together. With her accessible voice and imagery, Weiner, also the author of In Her Shoes and Good in Bed, crafts a believable story you can read in a weekend.

slide 4

By Mary Alice Monroe

Cara Rutledge, the novel's heroine, has little to look forward to when she returns to her family's South Carolina beach home to be with her ailing mother. She's haunted by childhood memories of her abusive father and her mother who never intervened. But Cara finds peace in restoring the beach house and connecting with the locals, as well as with loggerhead turtles that make their home there.

slide 5

Elizabeth Street

By Laurie Fabiano

Not your typical summer read, this historical fiction tale will transport you back and forth between the Italian fishing village of Scilla and New York City's Little Italy to trace heroine Giovanna Costa's battle against early organized crime in America. The story is loosely based on the author's family history.

slide 6

By Elin Hilderbrand

This book will bring you to the quaint but swanky island of Nantucket where the main character, Adrienne Dealey, goes to work at a bustling restaurant under managment of the handsome co-owner, Thatcher Smith. The plot of this summer romance is light and easy, making it a perfect beach read.

slide 7

Mommy Tracked

By Whitney Gaskell

Single mom, Anna, forms an informal support group called Mothers Coming Together, "MCT," and quickly becomes close with its members, including diet-obsessed Grace, pregnant Chloe, and overwhelmed attorney, Juliet. This fun group of realistic characters living in a Florida town will leave you longing to create your own MCT.

slide 8

The Last Song

By Nicholas Sparks

Here's another hit book by Nicholas Sparks that was turned into a movie (this one starring Miley Cyrus and released in theaters in March 2010). Have a box of tissues on hand for the story of 17-year-old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller who begrudgingly heads to North Carolina to spend time with her estranged dad at his beachside home. She experiences first love and painful loss in one unforgettable summer.

slide 9

By Kathryn Stockett

When privileged Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan graduates from Ole Miss with an English degree but no job, the country is on the brink of the Civil Rights movement. Skeeter decides to write a book about the lives of "the help" -- black maids in her Mississippi hometown. Through her risky endeavor, she connects with a community she never expected to. The book's realistic view of the south in the 1960s and its heartwarming humor make it a standout worth reading even before it's released in paperback.

So have you read any of these this summer? Share your reviews!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I've already read 2 of them (Beach House and The Last Song), both were good... and a couple of them are on my to-be-read list.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I haven't read any of them.  Sad to say, I'm not much of a reader.  Well maybe if I got a life and didn't spend so much time stalking people on CM then I would have time to read. lol

matofour
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Oh the help was so good!! I loved it, I might have to try a couple of the other ones!!!
If you haven't read the help, do! It was so good, sad but funny too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM

BUMP!

StephanieSH
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I read The Help.  I was pretty good and a quick read.  I don't usually like typical summer beach reads but I might try and few of these.

tootall66762
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Thank your for the list.  I am a reader also and always looking for new books to read.  I set a goal at the beginning of summer to read ten books and I did it.

CaLizzyMom
by on Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I read The Help a few months ago, I really loved it!  I also read The Last Song, but I read that before the movie came out, the book was so much better, less about the teenager and more about her family.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

BUMP!

texasmom1800
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for the list.  I sit on the beach one day alone every week and read and I've been looking for something new to read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)