Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you start preparing for the start of school and what do you do?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM
  • 39 Replies

Just curious to see how many parents for school ahead of time or at the last minute.  I learned my lesson and started preparing about now, school starts in September.  The older they get the more they need in school and since they're going into 9th, 5th and 1st there is a lot to buy. I needed to start early because everytime I'd wait there would be nothing in the stores left. So I started buying the basics in school supplies and I'll wait for the teacher's lists for anything specific. I like to buy extras to have at home so I don't have to buy throughout the year when the sales are done.  I also go through all their clothes and see what fits and doesn't and get rid of any clothes that look worn and old.  Every week I'll buy a few things like shoes, sneakers and boots one week, coats the next and so on.  I found that this decreases the stress of buying everything at once and I also don't spend a ton in one shot. I would love any other tips and cost savings that you may have.

~Damaris

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I get clothes on an as-needed basis because sometimes they just don't need new school clothes.  Then as soon as I have the lists for supplies I go get them.  We start school here August 9th and they're both ready to go.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I do things really different, but its what works for me. lol  I don't really do a "back to school" shopping.  I get my boys each a new pair of tennis shoes.  I'll also pick them up a backpack and/or lunch bag if they need them.  I have them try on clothes right before the seasons change, which around here is early Oct, so we'll try clothes in late Sept.  I buy them new clothes as needed.

As far as classroom supplies go, our school provides all the supplies they need - that's just how it's always been done in my part of PA.  Infact I don't know of any schools near me that don't supply the kids with classroom supplies. 

bamababe1975
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I get them an outfit beforehand, and try to tackle their supplies list about a month ahead of time, but ths year, I haven't done anything yet and they start on 8/6. Mil's hospitalization and subsequent death due to complications from her cancer, however, along with her memorial service, threw a big, heartbreaking wrench into that plan, so I'll be getting some things this week, and the rest probably after they start.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I only have one son, and so that make it easier.  I did all the supply shopping yesterday, and we'll buy clothes based on sales and on an as-needed basis.

Xantho
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM
she gets 1 new outfit for first day...supplies are bought a little here little there...clothes are bought on ebay i look for the best deals
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KTMOM
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM

School starts Aug 12th here.  The main thing I do is get my son back to going to bed a bit earlier because I let him stay up later during the summer.  I have already gotten all his school supplies and a few articles of clothing. 

Powerstamper
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I'm exactly like you. I have 3 kids and like to start early before everything is picked over. It also allows me to take my time and not get stressed or feel rushed.

pt33333
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Both of my kids attend parochial school, so they have to wear uniforms.  I try to order their uniforms end of July or early August at the latest because sometimes items end up on backorder and I want to make sure we have at least one of every item they need for the first day of school in September.  As for supplies, I also shop for them late July or early August.  I used to try to wait later and get better deals, but it ends up being a bigger headache because there would always be one or two things that were required that would be hard to find.  So now I just go to Target when their sale starts and get everything in one trip.

In mid-August, I also start adjusting their morning schedule gradually to get them back to the right wake-up time for school.

Shannon236
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I already started buying for my soon to be first grader....crayons, glue sticks and all. I got his lunch box and back pack and a couple outfits to start off the school year. Probably the middle of june I will go through all his clothes from last year and see what fits and what not and go from there. My mom usually buys both my boys a brand new coat every year so I don't have to worry about that:)

scotti
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 8:02 AM

My kids spent the week at their Grandma's last week, so I took advantage of the opportunity and got all of their school supplies, backpacks, lunchboxes and shoes. 

As for everything else, I buy things in larger sizes when I see them on sale and put them away.  So, I have Totes in my basement filled with underwear, socks, PJ's, school clothes, and coats all ready to go.  The only thing I will still need to buy when the time comes is winter boots.  Its a good thing too because our stove just died and we ended up getting a new stove and dishwasher, so I'm glad I don't need to go drop a chunk of change on school clothes right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)