Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do they like to read?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do your kids like to read? Have they read a lot over the summer?

My two love reading, and they normally pick up several books over the course of the summer, but this year, not so much. I think their grandma being sick had something to do with it, but still, I plan to buy them some new books to spark their interest before school starts in a couple of weeks.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaLizzyMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

We do, all of us.  My son is reading "The Guardian" series by Katherine Laskey because there is a movie coming out in September.  He has to read the first two before we will go see the movie.

IhartU
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

My oldest who is 17 loves to read and is never without a book or two. My younger kids who are 10 and 8 simply don't enjoy it and I don't think either one of them has read anything over the summer. They do however, write their OWN books which I guess is better than nothing.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

My boys do enjoy reading.  We have quiet reading hour every afternoon and they usually don't argue about it.  I personally feel that pushing them too hard to read is not good and they will end up hating it.

bamababe1975
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, I don't agree with pushing it, either. Thankfully, though, the girls do enjoy reading. I know if I buy new books while they're at my parents' this week, they'll dive right into them when they get home, grateful for new stories. :)

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys do enjoy reading.  We have quiet reading hour every afternoon and they usually don't argue about it.  I personally feel that pushing them too hard to read is not good and they will end up hating it.

semazani
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM

My kids all like to read....some a bit more than others!  LOL

Seth and Trevor read every night for at least two hours once they are sent to bed.  Zach will typically read for a good 1 1/2 or so.  Nicholas is allowed to read at bedtime for the first time this summer....he is reading for a good couple of hours too.  Alex reads quite a bit too.  Madison is our not as avid reader.  She will read for about 1/2 to an hour a day on her own.

We have required reading time after lunch during the week each summer.  We also have them choose a classic book or newberry winner to read at the beginning of summer.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM

We are a HUGE reading family! Hubby and I and 3 daughters (19,15,6) all love to read. The 6yo just finished kindergarten and is reading above 1st grade level. Though I love still reading books to/with her...it's nice that she loves to read on her own now too.

mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM
My daughter (10) loves to read, I can't buy enough books for her, thankfuly she's happy with the library. I am thinking about kindle though, I think she might like that and wouldn't have to carry the huge books around that she reads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROBIN-C
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

my 18 year old son LOVES to read...never leaves the house without a book (anyone know if military bases have libraries?)

my 7 year old daughter HATES to read (even though her reading level is at 3rd grade and she just started 2nd grade)...she loves to be read to...she doesnt like that chapter books dont have many pictures and that they arent in color...i dont know what to do to encourage her to read! this summer I had an elaborate plan set up based on Magic Tree House books (i read the first 10 books to prepare), I was going to have her read the chapter books outloud to me and i would read the study guide to her and i had activities planned to go along with each book....she wanted nothing to do with it @@!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

My son enjoys it, but he's not an avid reader.  So far he's been on vacation for two weeks and two overnight week camps, and so he hasn't had too much downtime this summer.  His downtime starts next week, and so I'm hoping he'll finish the book he's reading right now.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM

My kids cannot ever read enough. It is almost crazy. Thank goodness for the library because we cannot afford their reading habits.

My 10 yr old read the Lord of the Rings series last summer. This summer it is the Nicholas Flamel series, Twilight series, Harry Potter, Elosha series and who know what else in between.

My 12 yr. old demolished The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons in about 5 days. The Hunt for Red October took 2 days. Luckily he'll also read things at his age level like Nicolas Flammel series, Twilight, The Ranger's Apprentice series.

My 5 yr old could "read" all day long. I just started reading Harry Potter to him. Next might come Percy Jackson.

We are getting ready to go to the library for some new stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)