Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Twin Bed or Double Bed?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM
  • 37 Replies

DH and I are discussing whether to move DD into a double bed or not.

Who has a child sleeping in a double bed? When and why did you choose a double bed over a twin bed?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommynac
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM

How old is she? My son is 5, and I chose a twin because it seemed big enough and a double would take up more space in his room.

tawana12
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:40 AM

We bought a racecar bed for my SS and he loved it. He's a skinny little fellow so that was more than big enough for him and his big stuffed dog.  I like the size of the bed because it doesn't take up alot of space in the room.  I've always hated bulky furniture.

AuntieV
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM

The kids went from a crib to used twin beds. When SD was 9 we replaced her bedroom furniture with a set she picked out. She wanted a double bed so she could have friends over for a sleep over. When SS was ready for a new bedroom set he wanted bunk beds.

If I was replacing furniture today I would go for one of the loft bed/desk units or a trundle bed.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

our is in a twin bed, soon to be bunk beds, solely for space.  we live in an apartment & though the rooms are large they are not large enough for a double bed along with all their other stuff.

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

double. cause more growing space. she's been in the same bed for 6 years. when we get a new one hopefully next spring. we are getting her a queen. oh and my husband is 6'4 and not sure which of the kids are going to take after him. we have to have a custom length bed.

niehoff9
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

If we had the room in the kids bedrooms I would love for them to have double beds so that they have more room when they get older.  I never had anything but a twin bed until high school and our kids all have twin beds, we have bunk beds in every room, and for now they are fine.  Our youngest is really tall and we may have to find her an extra long twin bed by high school though, she will be in Kindergarten this year and is taller than our 3rd grader!

thenie255
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM

My oldest is in a double.  he's (almost) 7 but he takes after his uncle who is 7foot (yes honestly he is).  My son is the youngest in his class but always the biggest.  I figured going ahead and getting him a double would save me the time and money to buy him one later on.  My 4 yr old girl is in a twin and 1yr old is in a toddler bed...

crazymama0286
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Twin bunk beds for my 5 and 6 year old.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Both of my boys are in twin beds and I don't plan on getting them another bed. Their twin beds are just as long as a double bed, so I just don't see the reason to get a double, unless the kid was overweight and needed room that way. My oldest son is 9.5, weighs 85 lbs and is 4'9" tall and fits just fine in his twin bed.
natesmom1228
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM

My son is in a twin only because his room is not big enough for a double. I would put him in one if I thought it would fit in the room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)