• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reality is setting in...need input...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

my son is leaving for boot camp in 3 weeks! it doesnt totally seem real yet, probably because I am distracted by all the stuff I have left to do before he leaves: 

-plan his going away party

-get pictures of the kids together

-buy the American flag kit and set the pole in cement (we are going  to have son raise the flag in a small cememony seperate from his going away party)

-request a day off work (to drive him downtown to watch him swear in again and say our goodbyes)

I am ordering "dog tags" for Drew to give out to immediate family at his going away party and want input on the wording - there are 5 lines on the tags, 15 characters per line including spaces...this is what i have, but am wondering if anyone would suggest different wording?:

MOM OF SOLDIER:

ANDREW COFFEY

PHYSICALLY

APART...ALWAYS

IN MY HEART

all tags are the same except first word obviously,lol, take out "mom" and replace with: SIS, DAD, GMA, NANA and GPA (due to limited space i had to abbreviate grandma to GMA and grandpa to GPA)

would you change the "physically apart...always in my heart" to something else? if so what?

ROBIN-C
MOM TO:
DREW (7/92) AND TIARA (7/26)
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM

BUMP!

jaderica
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM

That is really cool idea! No, I wouldn't change the wording- I think you did fine with what you have there. (((((Hugs)))))  and Good Luck to your DS!

-Jaderica

stellarluna
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I love it the way it is! My son is only 2 1/2 and this made me cry... so bittersweet for you!  To be so proud and heartbroken at the same time!  all the best!

jbirchard
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Now that you got me all emotional.......

I love the saying and I think you should keep it. Good job momma :) You should be proud!!!!!!!!!

texasmom1800
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I love the while physically apart part.  I would leave it like it is.

foxyloxy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Very moving.

The only thing I can think of if you want it to be a gift from him to each person, would be change the wording a bit.

To my Mom,

Physically

apart...always

in my heart.

Soldier Coffey

Or

Physically

Apart...Always

In my heart.

Your Soldier

Andrew Coffey

I wouldn't change the physically apart..always in my heart. It is very stirring and moving. hugs

AmyG1976
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

i like it ((HUGS))

zipandzap
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM

bump

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Love it!  patriotic

ErikaRobin
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

That really is pretty cool and very touching, Robin. 

You must be going NUTS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)