Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary kids and email?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do your elementary kids have their own email address?

if so how old were they when they got it?

do you have the password or do they know it too?

i am considering setting up 7 year old daughter with an email address...basically to have more contact with her grandmas and brother at boot camp...probably family only, no friends yet...ya know weekly updates etc...it would also help with her keyboarding skills (capitolizing, punctuation and spelling!) she wouldnt have the password and i would check the messages before allowing her to look (to check for spam and inappropriate stuff) and i would be with her while she used it.

what do you think?

ROBIN-C
MOM TO:
DREW (7/92) AND TIARA (7/26)
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirchard
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I think it's okay as long as you do exactly what you say. Sometimes I get some weird spam on my email.

semazani
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM

My kids have an email through kol (kid version of aol), though they never use it.  I have the address list to allow only specific people.  They have an email address through their school and can talk to their friends on there if they want to.  It is highly monitored by the librarian and she checks all messages before they are put through to the receiver.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a seven year old.  I would go with snail mail for her brother at boot camp....could teach her more skills for writing letters, etc.  It is always nice for the military guys to get mail from family as well.

cedailey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM
My daughters have email, I set them up when they were 4 and 5. They are Yahoo accounts and since I set them up as minors they are attached to my account. They also have more stringent spam controls and I get notified if anything changes in their accounts. I set the passwords. They use it for family and one or two friends. I guess I'll get my son one when he is 5 or shows interest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Oh, and for her brother in boot, snail mail only. He won't have email, and barely have phone. Phone priviledges are one of the first things to go for the tiniest infringement, and you only get 5 to 15 minutes anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Oh, and for her brother in boot, snail mail only. He won't have email, and barely have phone. Phone priviledges are one of the first things to go for the tiniest infringement, and you only get 5 to 15 minutes anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonnie
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I did the same thing, Robin. My daughter was 8 when I set hers up. She didn't have any interest in email before that.

texasmom1800
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I see no point in a 7 year old having an email addy.  My 8 year old son won't be getting one any time soon.  To me they need to learn how to write real letters to people first.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM

My boys use my personal email account to message their uncle out of state.  I'm just not comfortable with them having their own email just yet.  This works just fine for us, they type the letter to their uncle and sign their name at the bottom.  Usually in the RE: area they'll type message from nephew or if  it's for the boys from my brother it will be message from uncle.

jaderica
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I see nothing wrong with your plan-  my 3 older kids (ages 14, 13, and 9) each have email addresses. I no longer sensor the 14yo  and13 yo's email, but I still know the password for and monitor the email of my 9 yo. My 7 yo doesn't have an email address of his own yet, but that has more to do with delays from his disabilities than with his age.

-Jaderica

ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:57 AM

KOL! i didnt know such a thing exsisted! i will check into that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)