Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT question for moms who shop in bulk,

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM
  • 15 Replies
Like sams or Costco. What do you have to buy in bulk? What product (s) do you notice is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaderica
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM

A lot of the stuff that I buy in bulk are dry ingredients  (like flour and sugar), canned foods (like the cans of Ravioli that are large enough to feed the whole family on one can) or things that are a consistent staple, like batteries, laundry soap, or pet food. I don't see a lot of point in buying some of the stuff they sell, like fresh fruits and veggies or breads, unless you actually have the freezer space to freeze some of it. Otherwise it's usually a waste of money because even if it is technically cheaper, it won't survive long enough to get fully used, so you end up paying more to replace it.

-Jaderica

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I agree with Jaderica.  Only buy items that you will actually use all of it.  I generally steer clear of the "fresh food" items unless we are having a party.  It's great for cleaning products, dry goods, can goods, bottled water, gatorade, soda, etc.  Paper products are so much cheaper.  Storage space is a big key as well, you don't want 10 boxes of Kleenex tissues in the bathroom at one time.

bleumonster
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I don't buy in bulk but my niece who has 4 kids does. She usually buys condiments, detergents, papertowels, TP, cleaning products, and cases of canned vegetables (not the big cans usually). Before her youngest was potty trained, I think she bought diapers in bulk too.

LancesMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Frozen Vegies are cheaper so are frozen fries. But cereal is priced way higher because it's only name brand. And I never buy name brand!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I also agree.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agree with Jaderica.  Only buy items that you will actually use all of it.  I generally steer clear of the "fresh food" items unless we are having a party.  It's great for cleaning products, dry goods, can goods, bottled water, gatorade, soda, etc.  Paper products are so much cheaper.  Storage space is a big key as well, you don't want 10 boxes of Kleenex tissues in the bathroom at one time.

bargainshopper
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I shop at Costco.  Like the others, I buy laundry detergent, batteries, bread ( I freeze it), tissues, frozen chicken tenders, and some other things.   I also agree that some things are not cheaper.  It's about convenience of having a lot of somethings. I don't think I have ever spent more than 70.00 at a time.   Sometimes I only buy 2-3 items.  It's only down the street from me.

ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:42 AM

i dont really know what my MIL buys at Costco, but Tiara loves going along for the free lunch samples,lol!

MIL does buy toilet paper and paper towels in bulk and then gives some to us!!!

sandie66
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Oh I do. I always buy the big bag of fresh brocoli. I go through a bag every week by myself. I buy the frozen cheese steakcheese sandwiches (for my son), Teriyaki chicken and flounder (for me). I have a deep freezer so that helps alot. I have bought the fresh fruit before, but it goes bad before we eat it (there's only me and the 2 kids) so I stopped buying it. The bakery stuff is really good and doesn't last long enough to go bad. But as far as beauty stuff and cleaners, I find it cheaper to buy at CVS or Walgreens with coupons. And because we have the deep freezer I find it works really well to stock up on frozen foods when they are BOGO free at the regular grocery store. And even better when it's BOGO free and I have coupons!!

rkoloms
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:10 AM

We share a Costco membership with another family; items we always buy: organic eggs, organic produce, organic peanut butter, organic quinoa, Earth Friendly Eco laundry detergen, frozen wild blueberries, frozen broccoli, organic fair trade coffee and sugar, organic brown rice (a 12 pound bag costs about the same as 5 pounds anywhere else). There are some items we only buy with coupons, like toilet paper.

It really help if you keep track of per unit prices (I keep a small notebook in my bag).

Robin in Chicago

carrie1074
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:05 AM

We buy peanut butter, jam, syrup, water, Capri Sun, Bisquick, and Gatorade in bulk on a regular basis because it is cheaper....at Sam's anyway.  Don't know about Costco.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)