Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who REALLY knows their flag history?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

on an army fatige uniform the American flag is backwards (when looking at it, the flag is crosswise, not lengthwise, but the blue area is on the right.

do YOU know why?

ROBIN-C
MOM TO:
DREW (7/92) AND TIARA (7/26)
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM

this is what i am talking about:

ROBIN-C
MOM TO:
amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I have always wondered why and this is what I was told could be wrong...

It is worn backwards to make it look like a soldier is marching into the wind carrying a flag and the wind is blowing into the flag. I hope this is more understanding.

ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Quoting amzbrznjz:

It is worn backwards to make it look like a soldier is marching into the wind carrying a flag and the wind is blowing into the flag. I hope this is more understanding.

ding...ding...ding! yes, you are right....it is meant to look like the soldier is moving forward therefore the flag would automatically fly backwards...and it is placed on the right shoulder because the persons right is a place of honor...so for it to be in the place of honor AND to appear as it would when the solider id moving forward it is backwards on the uniform.

drives me crazy btw...because not many people know the reasoning and it simply looks wrong to the genral population....and even with knowing the reason many people dont agree with it stating the flag should NEVER be displayed backwards for any reason...and i agree!

ROBIN-C
MOM TO:
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I can honestly say I never knew that. I mean I might have been told when I was younder but it didn't stick with me. Thanks for sharing this bit of information with us.

amzbrznjz
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I knew marrying a Marine was good for something!

Quoting ROBIN-C:

Quoting amzbrznjz:

ding...ding...ding! yes, you are right....it is meant to look like the soldier is moving forward therefore the flag would automatically fly backwards...and it is placed on the right shoulder because the persons right is a place of honor...so for it to be in the place of honor AND to appear as it would when the solider id moving forward it is backwards on the uniform.

drives me crazy btw...because not many people know the reasoning and it simply looks wrong to the genral population....and even with knowing the reason many people dont agree with it stating the flag should NEVER be displayed backwards for any reason...and i agree!

leomommy1325
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

No, sad to say that I don't.  I honestly never noticed that until last week's episode of "Army Wives" when I noticed that the flag was flying backwards on Jeremy's uniform and I always wondered why. You'd think I'd have asked my grandfather, uncles, mother  or cousin by now.  My father also served, but I've never met him.  My family's served in every branch of the military except the Coast Guards. My parents met in the Airforce.  I always thought maybe the flag being on the right had something to do with being over your heart.  I never knew that.  It makes sense that it's not red, white and blue on the uniform though.

ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM

it absoletly drives me crazy! i dotn know how i would cope with having to wear that on a regular basis if i was in the army...while "I" know the reasoning, most people do not and to them it looks disrespectful and it would kill me to know that some people would think that i was being disrespectful to our flag!

really seems to me that they could have put s bit more thought into it...ya know put it lengthwise or something that doesnt appear to be disrespectful...and originally it was the real colors, but after protest to it being backwards, they dulled the colors...but that still doesnt make it ok to me...but they didnt ask me either,lol!

natesmom1228
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Quoting kmrtigger:

I can honestly say I never knew that. I mean I might have been told when I was younder but it didn't stick with me. Thanks for sharing this bit of information with us.

I felt the same way.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM

When flying the flag length wise, alot of people do it wrong as well.  When hanging a flag for public display the field of blue should always be in the upper left side when looking at it from the street or public view.  I learned this in Cub Scout leader training.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)