Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - Teach for America

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

I know that there are several teachers in this group, and many of us know teachers.

My daughter is very interested in Teach for America, and would like to speak with someone who has actually been a part of the program.

Thank you!!

Robin in Chicago

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hepmommy
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Bump!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

BUMP!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM

BUMP!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

That is wonderful. I hope someone can help her out on this.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

BUMP!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM

BUMP!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:26 PM

BUMP!

sarahjoy
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I am kind of familiar with it.. but not really.. I heard about it through grants and such in college.  if its not the same program it is mostlikely similar.  The program I heard about is where you teach in a low income area (a school that qualifies for the program) and you can get some of you loans paid off for it.. I didnt really look that much into it.. (although I should have because thats the kind of school I am at now for my second year).. I do know that alot of students in college or recent graduates are scared to teach in a "low income" area.. its a very difficult job at times.  Most of the people I graduated with said they would never do it.  

Its a very risky job to take for a variety of reasons... physical danger/stressful/longer hours due to extended day.. some even have schools on Saturdays.  not much job security.. as if a school fails too many times in a row they can be taken over by the gov. or/and shut down.  as many "low income" schools have low test scores and so on..., lack of parent involvement... it is scary for a first year teacher.

I was actually asked in college (my last semester) if I would consider working in Gary, Indiana (which is a very difficult school environment to work in.. or so reputation has it)... I said .. well Id love to but probably not for my first few years until I felt more comfortable teaching.. but guess where I did my first year.. Gary, Indiana and I LOVED IT.  and couldnt imagine being anywhere else.

It can be difficult at times but its worth it.  I encourage your daughter to give it a try.  I would suggest getting some experiance with children in low income areas before she graduates.. that really helped me because I knew what I was getting into in a sense. 

You have to have a very open creative mind to work in such schools as you may have very difficult situations to deal with.. such as unmotivated students.. neglect.. abuse.. violence..kids coming to school with very little knowledge and extremely behind grade level.. I have kindergarteners that dont even know how to hold a pencil. If she can make it doing two years of this then she will grow to be a fabulous teacher in my opinon. 

I actually did some field experiance in a school that was middle income, very low minority student population, always followed the rules.. parents always involved.. and I was BORED out of my mind! 

sorry I cant give you much more info about the actual program but I have lots of experiance with "low income" urban areas. to the point that I was actually threated by a parent to getting my a** kicked if she ever saw me outside of the school... we actually had to call the police and have her arrested.. and taken out of the school.

but seeing how much impact you can make on those childrens' lives is worth all the difficulties .. these places you really can make a world of difference and thats what a teacher should want when they go into this profession.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM

BUMP!

rkoloms
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM

Quoting sarahjoy:

I am kind of familiar with it.. but not really.. I heard about it through grants and such in college.  if its not the same program it is mostlikely similar.  The program I heard about is where you teach in a low income area (a school that qualifies for the program) and you can get some of you loans paid off for it.. I didnt really look that much into it.. (although I should have because thats the kind of school I am at now for my second year).. I do know that alot of students in college or recent graduates are scared to teach in a "low income" area.. its a very difficult job at times.  Most of the people I graduated with said they would never do it.  

Its a very risky job to take for a variety of reasons... physical danger/stressful/longer hours due to extended day.. some even have schools on Saturdays.  not much job security.. as if a school fails too many times in a row they can be taken over by the gov. or/and shut down.  as many "low income" schools have low test scores and so on..., lack of parent involvement... it is scary for a first year teacher.

I was actually asked in college (my last semester) if I would consider working in Gary, Indiana (which is a very difficult school environment to work in.. or so reputation has it)... I said .. well Id love to but probably not for my first few years until I felt more comfortable teaching.. but guess where I did my first year.. Gary, Indiana and I LOVED IT.  and couldnt imagine being anywhere else.

It can be difficult at times but its worth it.  I encourage your daughter to give it a try.  I would suggest getting some experiance with children in low income areas before she graduates.. that really helped me because I knew what I was getting into in a sense. 

You have to have a very open creative mind to work in such schools as you may have very difficult situations to deal with.. such as unmotivated students.. neglect.. abuse.. violence..kids coming to school with very little knowledge and extremely behind grade level.. I have kindergarteners that dont even know how to hold a pencil. If she can make it doing two years of this then she will grow to be a fabulous teacher in my opinon. 

I actually did some field experiance in a school that was middle income, very low minority student population, always followed the rules.. parents always involved.. and I was BORED out of my mind! 

sorry I cant give you much more info about the actual program but I have lots of experiance with "low income" urban areas. to the point that I was actually threated by a parent to getting my a** kicked if she ever saw me outside of the school... we actually had to call the police and have her arrested.. and taken out of the school.

but seeing how much impact you can make on those childrens' lives is worth all the difficulties .. these places you really can make a world of difference and thats what a teacher should want when they go into this profession.

Thank you for responding. She just turned 15, and has wanted to be a teacher since she was four. We have friends who are high school teachers, and have taught in some of Chicago's worst neighborhoods, and have heard numerous stories about the dangers, and rewards, of teaching in these schools (one friend was threatened with a knife by a student; another had her car shot twice).

I think that Teach for America will give her more educational options, but again, she would like to hear from someone with firsthand experience.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)