Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Half-Day Kindergarten - what do they do?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM
  • 20 Replies

My son will be going to half-day kindergarten next week, and I'm curious about what his day will be like. Is it just going to be learning the whole time? Will he get recess, and the extra things like music and p.e.?

What do half-day kindergarteners do??

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilpixy25
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

My daughter starts half day in 2 weeks.  I feel like its not enough time for them to learn anything. :(  I go to the orientation tomorrow so I can update then to tell you what their day will be like.  From what I heard it goes like this- bus/ unpack, learning time, snack time, a little more learning, pack/get on bus.  I hadn't heard about pe but I assume they would have some. 

DNR
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I have the same concerns.. I believe half day kindergarten is a pointless. My daughter starts in 2 weeks and its more of a hassles trying to figure out how is gonna get there and back for only 2 and a half hours. With me being a fulltime mom. I had rather her stay in prek at least it all day learning and activities.

CrazedMomof2
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

My kids had kindergarten from 8:10-12:20. They seemed to accomplish alot!

They had art class once a week as well as arts and crafts in the classroom.

They did PE once a week.

They had a pretty set schedule, you can always ask the teacher!

sojourner.
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM

DS will be going from 9:10-11:50...I hope that he gets enough from it. I was really upset that I couldn't afford all-day for him.

There's a mini-meet and greet on Thursday that I'll be taking him to...hopefully I'll feel better about the time and curriculum after that!

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

My kids had kindergarten from 8:10-12:20. They seemed to accomplish alot!

They had art class once a week as well as arts and crafts in the classroom.

They did PE once a week.

They had a pretty set schedule, you can always ask the teacher!

EspinozaM0m
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Good ? My daughter is 1/2 day and tells me they get a small recess unsure how long they get, and new this year they included a 1/2hour lunch for the kids. Her hours she goes from 9am-12:50
Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:06 PM

they have "workshops" and get a snack time and recess

CaLizzyMom
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM

My DD goes from 8 am-1 pm (looks a little longer than some other 1/2 day classes), they have 2 breaks (that I can remember): snack in the morning and lunch at 11 am.  They have music once a week and Spanish once a week.  I don't think they have a dedicated PE class, but they also have some "play center" time at the end of the day.  My son was in the same class 3 years ago and he did great.

Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I guess i should clarify. He went from 730 to 1030. they had a theme of the week.. for example: weather. They had a reading time.. and would read a book related to that theme. them they had workshops. Each workshop was related to the theme. For art, they would do something weather related. For writing they would write words like sun, moon. etc. They would count weather pictures.. like little suns in math...etc..

they also got recess just before they were dismissed or the day.

lilpixy25
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

wow its crazy how half day varies.  Ours is only 2 hours 20 minutes.  Minus the time to unpack/pack/snack they are only learning for about 2 hours.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Quoting sojourner.:

My son will be going to half-day kindergarten next week, and I'm curious about what his day will be like. Is it just going to be learning the whole time? 90% of it will be. Will he get recess, I know our schedule allowed about 20 min. so outdoors doesn't happen much during our winter months. and the extra things like music and p.e.? Yes, that is 20 to 30 min of the kindergarten day.. ours was a set schedule: M-art, Tu- music, W-gym, Th- library (or whatever varation)

What do half-day kindergarteners do??

As far as specifics the teacher will probably send home a copy of teh class schedule, and I would make every attempt possible to go to whatever you have for an "open house" they usually go into a lot of detail, then... you might even have an orientation before school starts (we did/do)

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)