Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coxsackievirus

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM
  • 20 Replies

Ugh, so the Hand/Foot/Mouth (coxsackie)  virus is going around DD's school. So what do ya know, DD got it and brought it home to DS and younger DD, I am getting a sore throat (which means I probubly have it, since adults usually get a sore throat), my neighbor kids both have it as well.

So have your kids had it? What food did you serve them? I bought pudding, oatmeal, popsicles and power aid. We were told to stay away from dairy but to serve cool smooth things to lessen the pain.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hepmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

We haven't had it here, but I wish you a speedy recovery!

bupkie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Acidic things can aggrivate it... - even gatorade can aggrivate it as well.  Switch to a toothpaste without Sodium Lauryl Sulphate... (Like Sensodyne... but check the label.. because some types have it, and some don't)     SLS is a harsh detergent, and can irritate mouth sores.... and prevent them from healing... taking much longer... 

My DS had it when he was 4, and was soooo sick and miserable.... (ended up in the hospital because his temp was so high and they thought it was menengitis!)  

I can't remember what mine ate.... it was so long ago... Popsicles, custard, scrambled eggs, and noodles.... homemade chicken broth.... 

I hope everyone feels better soon!   Hugs!   

LancesMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

hugsGet well soon!

daiseymae2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

hugsGet well soon!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovinSweetsMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Get well soon.

Just remember to keep pushing fluids. My oldest had it when he was younger and he would not eat or drink anything. And he was in the hospital for dyhydration.

our3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

thanks ladies. My youngest seems ok but every now and agian will grab her mouth. My middle kid almost cries non stop, I gave him some motrin and he is passed out right now so its quite. My oldest has gotten past the peeling hands and feet stage and was given the ok to go to school.

JaivonsMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM
My youngest son got it as an infant and he had the sores in his throat bit it didn't stop him from eating lol. Hope you and your family get better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I hope you and your family recover quickly.  I've gotten many warnings of it going around my son's daycares or his school, but fortunately he hasn't picked it up.  Good luck.

bupkie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I just wanted to share, viruses like this, the flu, the stomach bug... are why I give my son a water bottle to take to school and tell him not to use the school water fountain.   (Not that it is going to prevent him from getting sick... but it's just one way he could catch it... just ONE step I can do something about...)   A little controlling... maybe... but it makes me feel a tiny bit better.... Sigh...

Feel better soon!!! 

natesmom1228
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

hugsGet well soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)