Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A What age is it okay for sleep overs?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 46 Replies

My 6 year old son would love to sleep at any of his friends house. I do believe he would do fine with the experience. He is not shy or anything. I just believe he is too young. My husband and he have had sleepovers at friends of ours out of town, but my husband is with him. My son does not understand why he can not sleep over at anyone else's home. What are your rules around sleepovers?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM

depends on the kid I did it at like 6 my oldest was around 6-7 and the rest have not yet inc my 9 yr old son because well I dont actually know his friends parents/families all that well to trust them. I know the kids yes I know my son would be okay but I need to know the family well to send my child there all night long.

our3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Well DD started having sleep overs last year, so it started when she was 7. I think I was hesitant at first but she girl she had sleep over had become her BFF and she's over all the time anyway. I have also gotten to know her parents so we all get along. We havnt had anyone else sleep over though.

chcon
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM

My daughter just went on one last month and she will be 6 in October.  It was with a friend of mine's daughter so we've known her since birth.  If it would have been someone else I might not have let her go.

Cheri
Wife to Joel
Mom to Alexandra (5), Logan (3), Ian (2), Samantha (1 mo)

goldbug
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM

My daughters first sleep over she was 6 and I knew the parents well. I will not allow her to go to anyones house without me unless I know the parents very well. There are just too many sex offenders around this area. 

jaderica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I really think it depends on the kid and how comfortable you are with the place they would be staying.  My oldest was plenty mature enough for sleep overs at 6, but I had to be really comfortable with the other household before I would allow it.  On the other hand my youngest has some serious disabilities and staying over somewhere would be too big of a disruption of his bedtime routine and we would spend the next week at least getting him back on track, so at 7 we still won't even consider letting him stay over at grandma's overnight. 

Use your own judgement, Mom- if you think he can handle it and you know and trust the other family, trust your instincts and let him try.

-Jaderica

No_Difference
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Jamie went to a sleep over last year (she was 5) but I knew the parents, and they lived literally at the end of our row of homes (we lived in town homes both of us having an end).  My biggest rule, I have to know the parents and until shes probably 8 or 9 they have to be within 5 minutes away in case something happens or the off chance shed wake up in the middle of the night and wanted to come home. My final rule, we have to "like" the kid and the family and be able to trust them. It sounds harsh, but I don't want her coming back with bad habits. 

Jamie has been "sleeping over" everywhere since shes been 2 but usually with me there. She does spend 2 weeks alone at grandparents but again, thats family...and I can monitor what happens usually lol.  

justme00
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM

We dont do sleep overs never have and wont.

jenn981478
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM
My daughter was 4 1/2 on her first sleep over although the parents and I were good friends. I think it has to do with maturity level and how well you know the other parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntieV
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM

My kids had sleepovers with cousins, at grandparents and friends of the family's kids all of the time before they started school. After they started school I wanted to know the parents and know what the plans were before they could go to one of their friends house.

In 5th grade they could have a slumber party for their birthday with 5 kids sleeping over. After that they had slumber party/ bowling/skating party options every other year. The number of people they could invite was based on the cost of the event.

momto3infl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

We started between 5-7yrs of age.  As long as we feel comfortable then we go for it-no real set rules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)