Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Packed Lunches

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Hi! today is my daughters third day of kindergarten...she bought lunch on friday and I packed her tomatoes yesterday and today  I have no idea what to pack as a veggie!  I always make sure her lunch is a bread, a meat, a diary, a fruit and a veggie. What else can I send for her vegetable serving?

Also if you are super smart about eating healthy I have another question  I recently heard that fruits and vegatables are the same thing (idk I guess its something new like Pluto not being a planet whatever) if this is true can't I just giver her double fruit?

breastfeeding,6 month

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilpixy25
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM

carrot sticks, celery with cream cheese.

our3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:41 PM

My 3rd grader, DD, is taking a lunch for August and September since I didnt get the menu turned back in on time. Her lunches, I admit, are crap. She makes a sandwich with turkey or ham, cheese, and snadwich spread. She takes a capri-sun, brownie, pudding, cookies, or whatever else treats she find in the cabnet.  Once her hot lulnches kick in she will be eating from all the food groups.

AuMomie

Our WalMart here has little cups of corn, peas & carrots, etc. that I put in my babies lunch when she takes it. She loves them! 

jess2147

Think about her veggie serving the way you would a veggie tray for a party.  Cucumbers, carrots, celery, broccoli, ect. My DD is also willing to eat whatever veggies come out of a can at room temp. too.  Just put em' in a tupperware container and good to go. 

JSMmomma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I give my kids baby carrots or carrot sticks, slices of cucumber, sometimes a whole salad, raw broccoli, I put sprouts on their sandwiches, celery sticks.  Fruits and veggies have different nutrients, so we need both, plus fruits have a lot more sugar than veggies.

CrazedMomof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM

You could do snap peas, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, hickuma, or bell peppers!

MarriedJess
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Quoting AuMomie:

Our WalMart here has little cups of corn, peas & carrots, etc. that I put in my babies lunch when she takes it. She loves them! 

she eats them at room temp?

breastfeeding,6 month

No_Difference
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I've packed pretty much any vegetable that doesn't need to be cooked.  For veggies that do need to be cooked, I'll cook them the night before and put them in a tuppeware or even a ziploc baggie for her lunches (she likes eating all her veggies cold anyway).  The few times I make bread, I'll mix a pureed veggie in with along with whole grains, otherwise we get whole grain breads and she usually has a turkey sandwhich with lettuce and cheese and sometimes we'll throw on some cucumbers (she hates tomatoes). Jamie loves broccoli so I usually have that packed or sometimes green beans.  I also make sure she has a baggie or tuppeware with some sort of fruit serving too, but shes harder to pack fruits for than she is veggies lol.  We treat her fruits like her "treat" tho too so she doesn't get brownies or anything like that. The fruit is sweet enough to fix her "sweet tooth" cravings. 

As a previous poster mentioned, fruits and veggies have different nutrients & fruits have more sugars.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:54 PM

My son eats his lunch at school because his school actually provides a healthy lunch with lots of fruit and veggie options, but I, myself, have packed the single serve veggies from Target or Trader Joe's meant for lunches in my own lunches that I pack for work..  They usually have baby carrots with ranch or celery with peanut butter.  I also buy the bags of cut and prewashed broccoli and cauliflower for my son, but I'm lucky that he'll eat them raw and with or without dip.

It's important for people to have a variety of fruits and veggies throughout a day or week since each individual fruit or veggies has their own added benefits.  So having two fruit servings is probably okay for some lunches, but they should be of different fruits if you want more of a benefit.  Variety is the key.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Do you have a thermos? One of my daughter's favorite lunches is whole wheat pasta with steamed broccoli and peanut sauce. 

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)