Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Highs/Lows?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

We try to make it a point to share family dinner each evening whenever possible, and this is a great way to find out about my teenager's life while avoiding one-word answers.

What other topics would be good to have at supper besided highs and lows?

What have you discussed at your dinner table?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaderica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

We talk about almost everything at the dinner table- school, what books we're all reading, what the kids want to do when they grow up, how to handle conflicts with friends-  just whatever comes up. I think it's important to use time at the family table as a time to teach listening skills and a time to know that we are there to listen to them. The older they get the more important that opportunity for open communication becomes!

-Jaderica

Just_Bethy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Its usually just my youngest 3 and me...(12...11...8) we play 'would you rather' we play 'what if'....we talk about dreams (dream job/vacation/home) we do favorites..ice cream/sandwiches /holidays.. We talk about school and holidays and birthdays and friends and books and movies....we talk non stop about all kinds of stuff....

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Just_Bethy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM

"What if" is a great game btw...from 'what if a dragon came to your party and ate the cake??'....To ..'what if there was a fire in our house..where would we go??'

IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:59 PM

We are the bad ones that try to keep the kids quiet at dinner time...other wise food does not get ate. However I do like to quiz them in the car about how their day went and such goo dthings.

jaderica
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Quoting IMAMOM2-2KIDS:

We are the bad ones that try to keep the kids quiet at dinner time...other wise food does not get ate. However I do like to quiz them in the car about how their day went and such goo dthings.

hey, different families have to do things differently, but at least you are still making the effort to have a time when they can talk to you!  Good Work, Mom!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Quoting jaderica:

We talk about almost everything at the dinner table- school, what books we're all reading, what the kids want to do when they grow up, how to handle conflicts with friends-  just whatever comes up. I think it's important to use time at the family table as a time to teach listening skills and a time to know that we are there to listen to them. The older they get the more important that opportunity for open communication becomes!

-Jaderica

This is the same for us.  We usually just let the conversation flow, and so I can't think of any ways we're tried to direct it.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting jaderica:

-Jaderica

This is the same for us.  We usually just let the conversation flow, and so I can't think of any ways we're tried to direct it.

This is our house, too. On a non-school night, the three of us can spend an hour and a half eating dinner, because we are all so chatty.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting jaderica:

-Jaderica

This is our house, too. On a non-school night, the three of us can spend an hour and a half eating dinner, because we are all so chatty.

Yep, us too.  I'm sure none of you are surprised though, because I am quite chatty. lol

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Well...it isn't just at the dinner table but pretty much anywhere...we play "what's your favorite?" a lot.

What's your favorite color? movie? cartoon? sport? book? toy? 

of course my kids are 7 and 4 so something like this is good for them. 

xense
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
We talk about what my son did at school. We talk about his favorite classes and hobbies. And just about everything that goes on in his day to day at school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)