Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Bus Question.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

If your child rides the bus- how close does the bus arrive to it's scheduled time?  and do you think 20 minutes before the scheduled time is too early or normal?  My daughter's bus has arrived 20 minutes early twice now- and most other times he is 5 to 10 minutes late.  My husband and I are always there early to pick her up. However, one of the times that the bus was early, the driver let her off and she started walking home as we had not yet approached her stop. 

We live less than a block away but she is only 7 and I am not comfortable with her walking home by herself, maybe I'm over protective but I don't know. This really freaked me out that he let her off with out us there yet.  Like I said we always get there early but I did not think I would need to be there 30 minutes early- mainly because he is generally late but it looks like I will have to be.  So I am just curious if most buses are like this or no... Your insight is appreciated. Thanks ladies :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

BUMP!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM

My DH is the one that normally takes my son to the bus, but I think they're supposed to only be there 5 or 10 minutes before the scheduled time.  It's written on the bus schedule--which we haven't gotten yet for this year!!!  I'm hoping we'll get the schedule at the Open House on Thursday.

20 minutes is way to early!  I'd call Transportation and have a discussion with them.

TiDyedSunriseLZ
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Thank you! I hope you get your schedule then too! We had to call Transportation to even get her schedule... frustrating. But yes, giving them another call about this time issue would probably be the best bet. We're going to talk to the bus driver too but who knows how that will go. We will see. Again, thank you for your help! :) I feel better- I was worried I was maybe being unreasonable even though I really didn't think so.

Quoting Barabell:

My DH is the one that normally takes my son to the bus, but I think they're supposed to only be there 5 or 10 minutes before the scheduled time.  It's written on the bus schedule--which we haven't gotten yet for this year!!!  I'm hoping we'll get the schedule at the Open House on Thursday.

20 minutes is way to early!  I'd call Transportation and have a discussion with them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
kcook55
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:41 PM

my son is in kindergarten for kids with delays so its his first year going to school and riding the bus. there is another girl that gets off in the afternoon with my son shes also a kindergaten her mom works at a glass shop across the st. we live 2 houses down from the stop. today the other mom wasn't there and he asked if i seen her i said no. he told me hes not allowed to let her off the bus with her mom. even tho she gets off with my son hes not allowed to release her to me. but than the mom came running out she lost track of time and didn't know it was already after 3:30. so no there not allowed to drop the kids off here with out the parent there.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:08 PM

You're welcome.  I did get the schedule in today's mail, but it didn't included the recommended time before hand like it normally does.  Probably because they were so much later than normal getting it out?  IDK  I'm not happy though.  Every year the bus rides right by our house, and they won't give us a closer stop.  The kid my son was sharing the stop with is now going to JR high, and so I was expecting a stop closer to the house.  NOPE  Still 2 blocks away down an extremely steep hill that doesn't have a sidewalk for the 2nd block.  UGH!  So I'm calling the school tomorrow.  I doubt I'm going to get anywhere either.  We've made so many complaints to the transportation guy that assigns the route is probably doing to this on purpose.  Errr.

Quoting TiDyedSunriseLZ:

Thank you! I hope you get your schedule then too! We had to call Transportation to even get her schedule... frustrating. But yes, giving them another call about this time issue would probably be the best bet. We're going to talk to the bus driver too but who knows how that will go. We will see. Again, thank you for your help! :) I feel better- I was worried I was maybe being unreasonable even though I really didn't think so.

Quoting Barabell:

sweetj
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM

This is my daughter first year riding the BIG school bus. So far the bus has been coming at its schedule time, but a couple of days it has came 5 minutes later. My daughter never gets home earlier than her schedule time unless the school lets out earlier and the school calls and let us know if they will be letting out early.

This morning the bus didn't come at the schedule time, it was 20 minutes late because the bus broke down and they had to send her a new one. And it never comes earlier than the schedule time unless the bus driver tells us.

I hope things work out better for you.

NearSeattleMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Probably they'll start being more consistent as the year goes on.

Our buses are usually close to being on time . . . but generally, we pick up our kids and avoid the buses entirely.

school bus

Threescoops
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I had one year that I had a hard time nailing down when the bus was going to come to pick up. So first i just asked the bus driver and explained I don't want my child missing the bus if your regular time is going to be 7:50 etc etc. After that, it seemed to work out. If it does not become more regular after a few weeks into school, there is a problem. Call the transportation. Just think, when winter comes, do you want you and your child to be standing out in the freezing weather for 20 mintues not knowing when the bus will get there? 5 minutes play on average is it. If it is more than that, the bus driver needs a reminder that they have a schedule to keep.

MommaClark3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM

For me personally... if this was how they ran things... I would drive my kid to and from because with as many chances as it leaves open for some perv to snatch your kid??? No thanks!

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Quoting MommaClark3:

For me personally... if this was how they ran things... I would drive my kid to and from because with as many chances as it leaves open for some perv to snatch your kid??? No thanks!

That's why we make sure some kind of responsible adult (my DH, my mom, me, etc) waits at the stop with my son until he steps on the bus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)