Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Behavior problems at the school

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

This is a brand new school ladies... school has been in for two weeks. there have been a lot of behavior problems that my kids have been telling me about. Students talking too much and the whole class is losing rights to different priviledges because of behavior problems.

Kids are throwing spitballs during lunch ect...

My question is... how long do I give the school to rectify these behavior problems before I volunteer to go down there and lend a hand???!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:23 PM

It sounds like the teachers could use extra help already!

LancesMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM

It's probably because they are all getting used to being back.

VLY
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:40 PM

so would volunteering in my childs classroom help or would I need to complain to the principal first?

Barabell
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I would start with volunteering in the classroom (if it was an option for me).  It's better to see what's going on with your own eyes.  Sometimes kids exaggerate :)

VLY
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM

thx Barabell! :)

sarahjoy
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM

We actually start handling those problems right away.. No Excuse.  I had a student suspended on his second day for hitting another student...(and he is a kindergartener).

The "discipline" room was full the second week of school for uniform violations.  I know of a few other suspensions as well.. both in and out of school.  We have zero tolerance for behavior problems.  We are pushing very strict policies.. expecially with parents.  And because we are a charter school... well you dont like our rules..you dont have to have your kid at the school.  (We love having him but if you dont like it you have other choices).

I hate it when the whole class is punished for other students' behavior.  Our princ. does not allow this.  We were just told at a meeting that we can not do this.

I would let the princ. know right away.  I know ours is very busy right now with paper work and meetings so she hasnt been able to come around to the classes yet this year really.. so we always email her when a parent tells us a problem so she can look into it and if needed address it.

jaderica
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I would contact the teacher about volunteering and speak to the principal all in one visit to the school.

-Jaderica

VLY
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Ours is a charter school too - I love the school - don't like the houligans!

Quoting sarahjoy:

We actually start handling those problems right away.. No Excuse.  I had a student suspended on his second day for hitting another student...(and he is a kindergartener).

The "discipline" room was full the second week of school for uniform violations.  I know of a few other suspensions as well.. both in and out of school.  We have zero tolerance for behavior problems.  We are pushing very strict policies.. expecially with parents.  And because we are a charter school... well you dont like our rules..you dont have to have your kid at the school.  (We love having him but if you dont like it you have other choices).

I hate it when the whole class is punished for other students' behavior.  Our princ. does not allow this.  We were just told at a meeting that we can not do this.

I would let the princ. know right away.  I know ours is very busy right now with paper work and meetings so she hasnt been able to come around to the classes yet this year really.. so we always email her when a parent tells us a problem so she can look into it and if needed address it.

rrensmeyer
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I would volunteer as much as possible if you can - in the clss and around the school so that EVERYONE (teachers, admins, students, etc) knows you.  That is what I did and believe me it makes a difference.

VLY
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I'll be joining the pta next week- need to get my car back and then I will begin voluteering!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)