Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My creative child

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am so flustered right now...I need a chill pill. My 5 yr old has always been creative. She likes to draw, color and create projects out of virtually nothing. She has the most vivid imagination and could entertain herself for hours. We clash..I say do this and she say ok I will do that my way sometimes that works other times it creates issues.

Last yr she went to a montessori school which I felt worked perfect for who she is. I so loved the opportunity to learn and be part of this way of learning. Well we had our then 1st grader at public school and our daughter at a montessori charter. The schools were 10miles apart maybe more. So this yr she wanted to go her brothers school and we felt moving our son there was not right for him. So we agreed to move her. The 2 school thing was hard. She is doing well for the most part. her creative attributes aren't appreciated at a public school. She tries to make an adventure out of her homework and her own directions, so we are having some battles. I guess I am frustrated I miss her school and I felt it fit who she was better but it doesn't fit my son. As I write this I wish she could just go back there. She learned there and things did not have to be a specific way. There were many ways to do things...I just dunno. I want to cry! I don't love her teacher at all. She was my sons teacher and this yr there are not much better options. She seems ok so she doesn't realize I don't want her there.

Guess I  rambling!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Awww, I'm sorry.huggingI'm sure that is hard when the school doesn't quite mesh with your child's style.  If your daughter seems to be ok with how this school is, give it some time and maybe you will be too.  You can also be on the look out for other ways for her to express her creativity either at school activities or extracurricular activities.

n03z07l08
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Aw im sorry =( Do you think maybe you could have a conference with the teacher and see if there is a way to accomadate yourDD's learning style without disrupting the rest of the class? I'm sure if you take time to talk thngs out you can find a way to make it work. Also I think you need to be sure that your dd learns tat sometimes there are directions to follow and she needs to follow them...Maybe a reward system? Goodluck!

hill2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I agree with you both...I may try to talk to the teacher but I am not sure what good that will be. She knows she was at a montessori school. I addressed some concerns at meet the teacher night. She chose my daughter because she had my son two years ago. I enrolled her in a art class and a cooking class I can do with her. I am looking for other classes when those end.

A reward chart at home is something I need to do then reward her with special time.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

hugs Hope everything works out.

sarahjoy
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I hate it when kids can't be creative... when I student taught 5th grade I did alot of creative projects and the kids literally couldnt do them.. I had to teach them how to imagine and pretend.  Their teacher was all about worksheets.  Their grades started to slip because they couldnt think outside the box (not your standard multiple choice stuff) ... so I had to conform to his style of teaching until I finished student teaching... NOW .. I have kindergarteners ... so I get to train them from the beginning to be creative!  Its so much fun! 

Maybe ask her current teacher how she teaches to different learning styles..and what kinds of ways she allows the students to be creative... see what she says.  Then if she doesnt maybe she will start to think about doing some things in that way.

IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Can you get her back into the other school? I would sit her down and talk to her and tell her that their are dif ways to learn and teach and some are better for some kids and the other work better for others. I would think if she is having a better year then it sholdnt matter if she goes to the same school as her brother or not.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Wow, this is a tough situation.  I really like your idea of taking those classes with her.  Since your son is two years ahead, do you think it will get better for your daughter after kinder? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)