Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your kindergarteners doing so far?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM
  • 27 Replies

I ask b/c we are on week 2 and we haven't seen any work what so ever. Just blank papers that are drawn on w/crayon,marker or painted.  Literally 2-4 a day. 

I'm trying to be patient,but They did more in preschool @ this point. 

Thanks

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nellyb118
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM

DS teacher sends home weekly newsletter, and so far they've covered how to spell and recognize all the primary colors as well as they've started sight words, they are focusing on I, am, and my this week. They're also learning to write their names correctly since most kids write all the letters capitalized.

lulumom12
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Thanks for the response.  Is he in a prvate school?

CaLizzyMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM

DD is going through the alphabet with phonics.  They focus on one letter/sound and color each week.  They've also started some adding and learning to write their names and addresses.  Other than that, she's learning two songs in music, along with keeping a beat.  It's a Christian school, so they are also working on memorizing their first scripture.  I can't think of anything else right now, their teacher doesn't send home anything until they finish the workbook.

sharonrena
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

This week they are doing a different color every day and learning songs and rhymes about colors and how to spell them.  They are also focusing on capital and lower case recognition as well as writing their names correctly.  Last week they worked on learning their address and telephone number along with letter recognition.  

lulumom12
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Have you all just started recently?  Thanks so much for the responses?

dkaam05
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM

My daughter just started Monday.  Today they started the alphabet.  No paper yet.

TwinMomma122304
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM

My twins don't start kindergarten until next Tuesday!  I'm sure the first couple of weeks are focusing on getting the kids used to the routine.  :)  Have you received any communication from the teacher at all??  My kids' pre-K teacher did a weekly note home to the parents to let us know everything they were working on.

BMW0508
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM

This is week two for my son. His first day he brought home a paper where they were practicing writing the letter I. He actually has homework this week. He did over the weekend too. It was a poem that he had to read to as many people that wpuld listen.

sugarhigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Um, I was sort of thinking the same thing and then I thought, oh yeah, it's only been two days!  We had homework before the first day (kind of an art project- parent directed).  Nothing came home on the first day.  Today he had a half sheet with the letter A.  I know they are doing things... not sure what they are beyond the stuff he brought home.  However, I do know that she sends home homework only on Fridays. 

lulumom12
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM

We did get a communication letter last week,  It said they got the supplies sorted.   I'm trying to be patient and would totally feel better if I just had an idea of what is going on.  My 5yo isn't saying more than they colored,painted,played w/letters,ect.  scribbled papers are a little upsetting when he draws detailed pictures at home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)