Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school fundraisers

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
  • 38 Replies
does anyone hate the fundraisors kids bring home in the fall?

its not that i dont like raising money for the school. its just that u buy junk for way too much & it is never the way it looks in the pictures... i wish there were better ways to raise the money for school...

last year they did a read a thon & for every $5 in sponsors each kid got they got a new book. & the school classrooms/library got a new book as well... that i think is a wonderful idea!

what are you thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lolozig
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:59 PM
forgive my spelling :) its late, im tired & on some cold meds lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
party_of_5
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Yes, I hate it at times. I send my children to school to learn not be little Amway sales people. Last yr we sold candy bars & chocolate covered nuts which that I didn't mind & with the proceeds we were able to get things for the school. I hate the little booklet sales with the cheezy items like the wrapping paper in it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:06 AM

My boys brought home the lovely junk fund raisers on the 3rd day of school.  I just love how they have barely started the year and they think it's time to send fund raisers  home.

Our school does do one fund raiser that I like alot.  The company is called Market Day and it is a monthly food fund raiser.  You buy grocery items and they are delivered frozen to your school.  The school earns a certain percentage of your purchase and the food is actually very good and reasonably prices.  Their website is http://www.marketday.com/ incase you want to check it out.

tretresmom
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

The only ones I like are candles & the candy

mypbandj
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Ugg. I don't let my kids sell. Period.

My mom never let me and now I understand!!

But they brainwash the kids. They tempt them w stupid dollar store toys. I don't want my kids to have those either!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjoy
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM

I hate fundraisers with a passion.. not so much as the raising money.. but as you the crap you have to buy for them...and try to get others to buy it is hard when I dont even see it worth buying.

I always loved the candy bar fundraisers I did in school.. I could sell the heck out of those.. but the ones where they are big tubs of cookie dough or silly little candles and such.. I hate them.  also the entertainment books.. they are so expensive... at least the candy bars are cheaper..but you can sell them better so you still make a lot.

Rushn311
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I have done a couple.

Candles was one, the donating book thing they do around xmas time, and end of school year and we raised money for the school's playground by asking neighbors for any money they could give..I like helping.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM

My son's school hates selling junk.  They would rather have parents and other family just donate directly to the school.  They also do a read-a-thon, but the kids don't get a book.  The winning classroom gets a party.  It's cheaper.  They do two other "thons" - walking and spelling.  Besides that, their huge fundraiser is a silent auction in the spring.

_Bamaborn_
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Sigh.. this is only the second full week of school and they are already starting in on this cookie dough fundraiser..

db1au
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I hate fundraisers.  I would much rather just donate money to the school, instead of "begging" my family/coworkers, etc to buy useless crap.  Our school has done a fun run for the past couple of years.  I refused to beg people for money.  She did ask her grandmother and I gave a little bit of money.  The kids run laps, you pledge a certain amount of money for each lap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)