Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My daughter is the only "white" girl in her classroom.... *UPDATE

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM
  • 275 Replies

I just want to know what other's think, If you think it's odd or whatnot.  Should I do something, should I leave it alone?

My daughter came home from school and told me she is the ONLY white girl in her 3rd grade class and it made her feel uncomfortable. I am all for diversity but I am not for my child turning into a minority on the other hand. We love the teacher and all but this just seems odd. 66.4% of the school is white so the odds of this happening? Weird! I thought it was strange at meet the teacher night and I was looking at the other names on the board and they sounded foreign not easily pronouncable. I'm trying to be open minded and really I don't want a fuss but I feel like my kid got stuck in the "lower achieving" class or something. Alot of the kids speak English as a second language etc. My daughter is a normal-high achiever more on the normal side. I don't want these kids to bring her down. My dd does have friends of many races and colors but for her not to even have the chance of having a friend of the same race is kinda not normal. We live in the suburbs we are NOT inner city.

And no were not racist. My youngest daughter is white/black/native

Here are the domographics from her school:

School Demographics are: 66.4% is white, 12.0% black, 8.1% hispanic, 13.1% asian, 0.6%Amer.Indian

UPDATE: I want to thank all the people who messaged me privately to tell me they agree and see where I'm coming from and see the whole picture. It is not only unfair to my daughter but it is also unfair to ALL the other students as well. The school has obviously tried to be sneaky and segregate students. I have handed over my information to the MN Dept.of Education to Investigate. I looked through my daughter's old year books and counted roughly 30 white girls in the 3rd grade. Their is (3) 3rd grade classes in my daughter's school and she is the only white one in her class? That is NOT diversity.  Diversity is mixing everyone of all races and genders together. Segregation is exactly what the school is trying to sneakily do. My dd told me yesterday the teacher taught in English and then would translate in Spanish... I didn't enroll my daughter in a Spanish Immersion school (although I considered it once) for many academic reasons so this is ridiculous. I quit reading most of your responses a few days ago because they are ignorant and focused to much on me being a "racist" which i am not because you didn't bother to read everything you skimmed through and were to fast to jump to conclusions. If my daughter was not white and I was complaining the tables would have been turned. I should have never given my daughter's race. Really my youngest is tri-racial she's white/black/native and I would feel the same way if my youngest was in this classroom. Like I said it's not only not fair to my child but the rest of the 3rd grade as well. Now the other 2 classrooms full of 3rd graders are pretty much all white and they are not being exposed to diversity at all, then the minority kids in my dd's classroom may feel they have been segregated and feel different because 66% of the school is white yet their classroom looks and feels different than all the other classrooms in the school. Don't you think the minority kids walk past the other 3rd grade rooms and wonder why THOSE kids are all whilte? Everyone involved here is a victim.

by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Replies (1-10):
justanotherjen
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Maybe give it time and see how she does in the class.  If it looks like her academics are suffering then consider asking to put her in a different class.

My kids were always a minority at their school.  The neighborhood we lived in was like 80% Mexican so that was how their classes were.  They were just a handful of white kids at the school and like the only kids that spoke English only (all the other kids either spoke Spanish or Polish along with English).  That's how it was when I was a kid, too.  They never had a problem with it.  I don't think they even noticed.

VLY
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM

our schools are like that here :(  I'm not racist or anything either but "I" got uncomfortable when I realized there were probably a TOTAL of 5 white families in our new charter school (including us!)

Not to mention but alot of the kids around here are raised with different moralls and allowed horrid behaviors at home...

If the rest of the classes in your school are more even I would ask for a fairer mix... Your child would benifit from a variety instead of being in the minority...

In our situation we are the minority and that is NORMAL here so we are out of luck :)

marlarrie
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM

So you feel the other students are lower achieving because they're not "white"? Very interesting........

2girlsMom.MN
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM

We've been at this school since Kindergarten it's always been a more "fair" mix. I would be just as worried if my daughter was the only female in the class I believe everything should be spread out equally.

I agree with out about morals, value, culture because some definately raise their's different or don't really raise them at all. Let their kids run wild..

There is (3) 3rd grades with roughly 25 kids per class.  I still think this is odd

The teacher was learning names today and got to my daughter's and said "aaahh a easy one" seriously that is a sign things are messed up.

JaivonsMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. My boys are half black and in my oldest sons class there is only 1 white kid. I grew up in a school where we the white people were the minority. In the city we live in black n whites are the minority. It's just the way it is. Just because she is the only white doesn't mean she is in a low achieving class. You don't even know the children in.her classroom so how can you judge and even say that. I don't get it. I am not trying to be rude its just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2girlsMom.MN
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Quoting marlarrie:

So you feel the other students are lower achieving because they're not "white"? Very interesting........

Yes they are lower achieving because most speak English as a second language and they're parents are either illegal immigrants or refugees new to this country. Their test scores prove it.

chocolat-smiles
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM

how do u think Blacks, Asians and other minorities feel when they are outnumbered? do they ask to speak to the principle or even change school? No, they stay, stand the course and learn about others in the process. That's what diversity is. I think it's crap when people say they aren't racist but when the shoe is on the other foot, true color start to reveale itself. Unless ur daughter is being bullied i think she's fine. This situation happens all the time with minority group when they are greatly outnumbered but somehow no one makes a fuss about it.

JaivonsMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM
That's what I say. Just because they speak Spanish at home and English at school doesn't mean they are low achievers. If they had bad English they would put them in a special class like we have here teaching them the English language. I am white and this wouldn't bother me but I raised differently and things like this don't bother me. I think its petty. Skin color has nothing to do with intelligence....

Quoting marlarrie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2girlsMom.MN
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Quoting JaivonsMommy:

I don't see what the big deal is. My boys are half black and in my oldest sons class there is only 1 white kid. I grew up in a school where we the white people were the minority. In the city we live in black n whites are the minority. It's just the way it is. Just because she is the only white doesn't mean she is in a low achieving class. You don't even know the children in.her classroom so how can you judge and even say that. I don't get it. I am not trying to be rude its just my opinion.

She's been at the same school for 4 years now I do know the children. I live in the same neighborhood as most of them. 

Have you ever gone anywhere, where you were the only white person? I have.  A few weeks ago I went to a restaurant in a mostly black restaurant, in a black neighborhood. My boyfriend is biracial and he wanted to eat there.  Everyone starred at me, looked at us, and made me feel incredibly uncomfortable. The food was great but the stares, glares, gestures and the feeling I wasn't welcome there made me not want to go back.

2girlsMom.MN
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Quoting JaivonsMommy:

That's what I say. Just because they speak Spanish at home and English at school doesn't mean they are low achievers. If they had bad English they would put them in a special class like we have here teaching them the English language. I am white and this wouldn't bother me but I raised differently and things like this don't bother me. I think its petty. Skin color has nothing to do with intelligence....

Quoting marlarrie:

They are low achievers, they get pulled out for ESL and Title 1 classes.... I'm not judging based on race. I know what I know.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)