Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To much freedom for kids?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
  • 33 Replies

Is it common for children to walk the halls by themselves in elementary school (1st grade).

Reason I ask my daughter just started at public school.  She went to the bathroom by herself and by time she got back her class was gone and the lights were out.  She went to another teacher and they told her to go to the Art class, Music class and Library.  Is it common for a teacher to not assist the student with finding there class or call the office and just let the child roam the halls?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I am not sure. My son hasn't complained to much about stuff like that. I remember doing it in like 3 grade and on.

Sarlinda
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:56 AM

At my dd's school they go to the restroom and stuff by themselves. Its pretty common there. Usually a teacher walks a child to find their teacher if this type of thing happens.

hill2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Well they do go to the bathroom by themself at my kids school. In kinder the bathroom is in the class. I know my son would know to go to the office if he could not find his teacher and class. My kids are in kinder and 2nd grade. My son knows his way all around the school since kinder. My daughter is in kinder so she is still learning her way .

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Our kids get a school tour during the first week.  Yes, by 1st grade the children should be responsible enough to use the restroom alone and walk back in a timely manor. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Yes, this is very normal.  By the time they have been in school for a month, they should know where all the different rooms are and should be able to find their way around easily.  In most schools the teacher is alone in the classroom with their students, so there is no one to help students to the restroom.

firsttimemom496
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Quoting sahlady:

Our kids get a school tour during the first week.  Yes, by 1st grade the children should be responsible enough to use the restroom alone and walk back in a timely manor. 

Okay, I can accept that but what are your feelings on them going to 3 different classes by themselves(looking for there class-who left them)...one class is all the way at the end of the hall...

Also, she advised me that she forgot she was in the bathroom, because she didn't put her name on the board like she was supposed to.....

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM

She should know by now where her classes are at...if the class was gone when she left, and a teacher told her where to go and she didn't question where that class was, then she's old enough to walk there by herself...it's not like she's walking alone outside....I do know that in my old district the teacher would have walked her down there but maybe the teacher she asked had class.....

family in the van   Mom of four

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Mistakes happen.  Im sure your daughter isnt scared.  As for the 3 classes... unless the schedule changes week to week... does you daughter know the order of the esc classes?  I really wouldnt make a big deal of this.

Perhaps just say to your daughter "awe darn, I hope you didnt miss anything fun." "Maybe next time dont leave the classroom until you see your teacher write your name on the board.... you know even adults can be forgetful."  I believe that we need to give our children power, and not to scare them with our reactions.

Quoting firsttimemom496:

Quoting sahlady:

Okay, I can accept that but what are your feelings on them going to 3 different classes by themselves(looking for there class-who left them)...one class is all the way at the end of the hall...

Also, she advised me that she forgot she was in the bathroom, because she didn't put her name on the board like she was supposed to.....

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I have a first grader and I am fine with him walking in the halls inside the school building on his own.  He is a big boy and knows his way around the school.  If he isn't sure where to go, he knows how to ask for help.  He also knows his class schedule, so he would have know where he should have been.  I have to sound mean, but it sounds like you need to let your child grow up a little bit.  She is no longer a baby, she needs to be able to do things on her own.  That is what school is all about, learning to be independant.

jojomommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Its normal to use the bathroom but im not sure why the teacher did not wait for a min or tell her where to go after she was done 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)