Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't correct your child's homework?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
  • 84 Replies

I was advised when your child does her homework and she writes something wrong (for example: sentences) do not correct it.  That way I will know what to focus on in class.  I can definately respect that but at the same time my daughter will get a bad grade on her homework. 

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarlinda
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I do not correct my dd's homework but she does. It embarrasses my girls to get bad marks on their papers. If they struggle with an assignment I let their teacher know.

Stephie280
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I correct my kids home work. what i do is tell them what they got wrong and make them fix it. if it takes a few time to get it right then i send a note to the teacher. but they do enough work in class for them to focas on what needs work. i want my kids to get good grades on there home work

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM

what grade?

I dont remember my kids getting bad marks for incorrect homework.  Homework is for practice and to see what needs to be reviewed in class.  They would get marked off for NOT doing it.  But if they made a mistake they either corrected and reviewed in class or they were asked to re-do.  But they didnt get a bad mark for incorrect homework.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

My son gets pretty crappy grades and I've told his teacher that I basically sit there with him to make sure 1-that it's done and 2-that he gets it.  If he does something completely wrong, I have him redo it and I reteach it to him.  If he gets a few wrong here or there, I tell him he has some wrong and sometimes he chooses to redo it, other times he doesn't

mysweet1s
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I do correct my kids' homework - we discuss what is incorrect and why and then they fix it.  This allows ME to know what they are having trouble with...I have more one on one time to help them understand then their teacher does.  I speak with their teachers often, so we both know whats going on. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM
I don't correct my boys homework. It is at home practice of what they did that day in school, and I think that the teacher needs to see if they got the concept or not. By correcting it, you are depriving the teacher to chance to see where your child needs help. Homework is never graded at our school, so they can't get a bad grade for making mistakes. After all we learn by making mistakes, right?
Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM
DD is first grade, their homework is graded daily and I do review it before she has play time. If she makes her 6 backwards or adds something wrong, I'll tell her which one needs corrected and she usually spots her mistake and corrects it.
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I don't exactly correct it, I just tell them that they need to check and then give the number that's wrong....

family in the van   Mom of four

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

GREAT!!!

Quoting soymujer:

I don't exactly correct it, I just tell them that they need to check and then give the number that's wrong....

Erin.09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM
This exactly! I've always had very good communication with my daughters teacher so I feel fine with correcting homework and making sure she understands everything.

Quoting mysweet1s:

I do correct my kids' homework - we discuss what is incorrect and why and then they fix it.  This allows ME to know what they are having trouble with...I have more one on one time to help them understand then their teacher does.  I speak with their teachers often, so we both know whats going on. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)