Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the week

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM
  • 25 Replies

Okay, I thought a question of the week would be a wonderful thing to do again. So here you go!

How do you empower your child(ren)? 

Any suggestions for a question of the week are always welcome. Please send a message to one of the mods with QOTW in the title. Thanks in advice!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

BUMP!

outstandingLove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM

well, homeschooling allows for lots of opportunity for empowerment, IMO.

They get to choose the subject of our unit study. They get to determine (more or less) when they are ready to move on to another subject. They get choices about what kind of work they are going to do that day. They are almost 5 and almost 6 and each have days where they get to make breakfast and lunch.

Also, they get to expand their interests as far as they want. Example, DS1 is super heavy into the endangered large cats right now. He really really wants to help keep the big cats in our world so he asked me if we could write a letter and give them (the organizations) money to help out. So we wrote a letter and plan on doing a small fundraiser. So much empowerment is going to come out of this experience. :)

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM

oh heck.... there are many things I have done.  I give them choices all the time. 

rousefam5
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

How do I empower my children....hmmmm. I suppose by being present. Present when they go to school, get off the bus, homework, cook meals, listen to them about there day. I think this makes kids feel proud of there home life and what they are a product of thus helping them to feel empowered. Also, I think putting expectations on your kids and them rising to the occasion helps to empower them as well.

EmmaLeeMaLa
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Raising them up, rewarding them after good behavior, making sure they hear they are loved and beautiful and handsome everyday. Hugging them to make sure they know they are loved. Empowerment should be lifting one up and making sure they know they are full of power and love.

sahlady
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I believe empowering a child is to allow them to make choices right or wrong and to learn from those choices.  To help guide them with advice and opportunities... to allow them to discover what THEY can do, what THEY like, what THEY are good at.

It is true that it is easier to take a chance when you know you are loved and supported.  But love and support alone doesnt offer the opportunity to fail.... and thus grow.  You have to give your children the power of choice (with in limits according to age and ability).

I dont believe that giving childre things, telling them they are pretty, or doing things for them help them to feel empowered.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM

BUMP!

Just2busymom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Same here.

Quoting sahlady:

I believe empowering a child is to allow them to make choices right or wrong and to learn from those choices.  To help guide them with advice and opportunities... to allow them to discover what THEY can do, what THEY like, what THEY are good at.

It is true that it is easier to take a chance when you know you are loved and supported.  But love and support alone doesnt offer the opportunity to fail.... and thus grow.  You have to give your children the power of choice (with in limits according to age and ability).

I dont believe that giving childre things, telling them they are pretty, or doing things for them help them to feel empowered.

Jessand2boys
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM

i do. i encourage my son to think and chose for himself.. its important for independance and life skills

3gifts.from.god
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I let them fail, then MAKE them get up and try again as many times as it takes for them to succeed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)