• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sports and the heat...{piog}

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi Mommas!

Could I get your input on something please?

When you have your kids in sports, is it ever 'too hot' to practice?

I ask because we are nearing 100 degrees today, and dd has practice this afternoon for about two hours. The field IS in the direct sun, and I know kids are tough, but I truly wonder.

Is it unwise to have the kids practice once the heat reaches a certain level?

What do you ladies think?

THANKS!!!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I would think it HIGHLY unwise to have children practice in those temperatures. That's simply asking for trouble

Abbey84
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Yes it has been. When my Daughter played soccer it was so hot out that a little girl started to vomit & suffered mild heat stroke. No more games or practices if it's that hot!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Personally, I think that's too hot. If she really wants to go, make sure she has plenty of water and Gatorade to drink.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Yeah, that sound too hot to me.  The hottest that my boys have played in was mid 90's and we kept icing the kids down in between innings in the dug out.  It was awful.  We went through nearly 20 gallons of water and quite a few bags of ice for just our team.  We also had spray bottles filled with ice water that we'd spray the backs of their necks to help cool them off.

Radarma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Gals THANK YOU...

I just googled "heat stroke" and despite my NOT wanting to be too soft in my parenting, I just think it is asking for trouble too!

LINK

Ironically, I posted this in our CM Newcomer group too (because of traffic flow) and that post the moms say it is ok. Maybe because they have older or younger kids? I dunno...but I do know I appreciate the feedback very much today!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

BUMP!

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM

As a coach....it's okay to allow them to practice as long as they are hydrated and take breaks often.  I would also modify some of the activities so that it doesn't require too much.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The reason I said it was okay is because it is always 100 degrees here. 

DDDaysh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM

It's regularly tripple digits here and our kids always practice and play.  I think it's a bit daft actually (is football practice REALLY that important), but they do it. 

Radarma
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

As a coach....it's okay to allow them to practice as long as they are hydrated and take breaks often.  I would also modify some of the activities so that it doesn't require too much.

When it gets this hot, she does complain of a headache during the long practices.

Isn't that a sign?

I know I am absolutely melting today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)