Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a kindergardener thats stubborn about doing homework?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

My Kindergardener, does great in class at doing her work and finishing task on time. But when it comes time to do homework at home. She starts to cry, or she'll do it right the first time then , she'll just start writting anything down just to try and get me to say" okay go ahead and put it up , and we'll try again later. Then when she has to read me something , she does'nt want to do it when I ask. Only when she's about to be put in time out then she'll co-operate....I just dont understand??????????????

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hill2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

My daughter is in kindergarten but she just whizes through the entire packet in a day BUT my son was a little harder. He would just get frustrated because he struggled with a few things. I had to sit with him and keep him focused. he did the work himself after I gave specific instructions. He would at times whine but I told him if you don't finish your homework you will not play or have any fun time. By 1st grade he improved alot and now in 2nd grade he does really well. His sister shocks me how fast she does it and its right! LOL

Tlady25
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Really..! But she knows it. But it seems to me she wants to do things on her own time and not when I tell her too. But I have tryed to explain to her that its nots going to work that way. She still refuses to do it when I tell her to . Even with me helping her , we have gone past dinner time all cause she does'nt want to say her word, or writes the words correctly the 2nd or 3rd time....It does frustrate me. Cause my son, who is in the 3rd has finished , ate bathed and getting ready for bed...

libas.mommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:35 PM
That is how my dd is with her homework. When it comes to having to color and all that, she has no problem. But when she has to write out her name and abc's, is when she starts to whine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

My boys hated homework . . . but my daughter loves it!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM

My rule at my house is that you do homework before anything else.  So if you want to play or watch tv or what ever, you have to get your homework done without any fighting.  Just be tough and enforce the homework first rule and they'll start to cooperate.  You just can't give in and let them finish it later, it has to be done first.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Same rule in my house.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My rule at my house is that you do homework before anything else.  So if you want to play or watch tv or what ever, you have to get your homework done without any fighting.  Just be tough and enforce the homework first rule and they'll start to cooperate.  You just can't give in and let them finish it later, it has to be done first.

angeljosh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Mine struggles with homework.  It usually takes us about fourty five minutes to get it done but I have to break it down in fifteen minute intervals because he has been diagnosed with aspergers and ADHD.  Writing his name and doing his ABC's isn't a problem, however when it comes to coloring OMG that is a stresser and it causes alot of frustration.

sugarhigh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This is a tough one.  I think Kindergartners have to really adjust to being in school and having homework.  Just the whole routine of it all can be demanding, and new to them.  Try to make it a positive experience.  I went through this with my son and I decided to switch it up one day.  I bought a homework box and a bunch of new school supplies (when they were on sale this summer) and put them in a special cupboard just for him and his brother.  It really worked well.  I'm not suggesting that you do the exact same thing, but I think it just made it into a novelty for them and they got excited about it, it was a surprise to them so it caught their attention.  I try to keep things to a routine as well.  We have a certain time and place for doing homework.  He grumbles some times but he also knows that if he doesn't get the work done that he doesn't get to do his fun things like play or watch tv or whatever. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would enact this rule if my son didn't do homework when I asked. 

2cuddlebabies
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

My son, a kindergartener loves to do his homework which he has only once a week. The problem he has is finishing his schoolwork. He has already brought home a few papers with a note written on them from the teacher telling him to "finish his work".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)