Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is afraid to join cub scouts

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
At first he seemed so eager and now he doesnt wanna join. I tried to encourage him to at least to check it out, he started to well up. I give up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KTMOM
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Most scout groups have a "get acquainted" type meeting,  maybe see if you can get him to agree to going to that at least to see if it is something he would like?

candygurl79
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM
Thanks. They havin something like that at the school tonite. I will try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilyrose73
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I don't know if it's the same for you, but in our pack a parent has to stay with their child at every meeting.  Maybe having you there will make him feel less shy?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

If he doens't want to join, don't force him.  Cub Scouts is an activity that you can join at any time, so if he decided that he wants to join in a month or even in Jan, just call the contact name and they will be glad to have him sign up then.  As a scout leader, there is nothing worse to me than a child who does not want to be there.  They make my job harder and take some of the fun out of it for the other boys.

n03z07l08
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Is he nervous because hes shy? We have a very hard time with my vson due to his shyness. Hes actually diagnosed as having social anxiety disorder because its so bad. I sdign him up in things hes interested in,then just drop him off. It seems cruel but honestly it has helped him so much. Right now hes in football and at first it sucked-He like going but didnt talk to anyone and was always way off from others..Now only a month later he has friends, he wants to invite them to a birthday party and talks to them at practice and at school!

I say sign him up, let him try it and if he really doesn't want to go then just dont take him back.

Cindy_T
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Find out who the cub master is, do a few activities and see if he likes it.  My son is a Webelos 1 this year.  He has been in it since 2nd grade, he absolutely loves it.  He is a shy type kid,, but Scouts has helped him be alot more social.

Cindy18
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:05 AM

You could even see if he could do some of the "fun" activities first. Outings instead of the every week meetings. Talk to the Cubmaster and other adults and explain the shyness. You should be able to stay with him too. Leaders are always needing help and I've never heard of a leader turning down parent involvement.

semazani
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Our oldest tried scouts for about a month....seemed alright with it....then they planned a weekend camping trip and he was not impressed....day before he told us he didn't want to go, so he quit scouts.....he was 14!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You could always try just taking him and hanging out at the meeting with him until he meets some kids and makes a friend or two.

Michele-w3
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Take him to the meeting but let him know he doesn't have to get involved.  Just sit with you and watch.  I was a cub scout leader for 4 years and this is my 2nd year being a girl scout leader, I've had my share of very shy children.  If I know I have a child coming who is super shy, I usually plan on playing a game so the child can get involved.  I've had both the child and the parent play the game so the child feels more secure with the group.  Talk to the leader and give them a heads up that your son is very shy.

texasmom1800
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Sounds like my son.  He is 8 and has a social anxiety disorder.  I made him join ever though he changed his mind and he loves it now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)