Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kindergartener doent want to do work

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM
  • 6 Replies

my son is 5 and just started kindergarten... at open house, and also from a few notes home i've been told that while he's in class he doesn't cooperate with the teacher.... he doesnt want to do his assignments when asked and is very stubborn... he ends up doing it all during his free time. it's NOT that he doesnt know how to do the work, he does..... and at home he does his homework just fine when i ask him to.... How do I get him to understand he must listen to his teacher?? I've tried talking to him a million times.... butt he next day I hear all over again that everything must be "on his schedule".... What do I do?!?!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Start having a consequence at home for him not doing his work when the teacher asks him to.  If he starts to realize that you know that he isn't behaving at school, and that you are going to punish him at home for not listening to the teacher, then I'm sure that he'll start to do his work on time in class.  He is most likely under the delusion that you don't know what happens at school and thinks that he can do things when he wants instead of when the teacher wants him to do it.

sugarhigh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

What does the teacher do about it?  I think that there should be a consequence at school.  Not that it's completely the teacher's issue, but there should be some kind of consequence there.  I think it's good that the teacher is making you aware of the situation too but... I'm not sure why the teacher isn't handling it at school. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Kristie, I love when you save me the typing, lol. But this is exactly what I would be doing, if I had this issue.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Start having a consequence at home for him not doing his work when the teacher asks him to.  If he starts to realize that you know that he isn't behaving at school, and that you are going to punish him at home for not listening to the teacher, then I'm sure that he'll start to do his work on time in class.  He is most likely under the delusion that you don't know what happens at school and thinks that he can do things when he wants instead of when the teacher wants him to do it.

angeljosh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I have a weird question.  Is he not doing it cause he just is being lazy and doesn't want to do it, or is there an underlying problem here?  I don't mean to ask this question in offense but is he doing it during his free time to avoid another possible issue that may be going on with him at school?  I would try to figure out why exactly he isn't doing it at school but is willing ot do it at home.  With my son who has aspergers he struggles doing work at school which means extra work for me at home and the big struggle is that the school isn't working with him that well.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Have his teacher send home a daily or weekly progress report. Take away toys or things to do for bad progress reports and give them back for good!

Nadine254
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

i agree with two of the others. One: make sure there is no underlying problem. If you find out there is no underlying problem then give him the consequences for not doing the school work. I used to volunteer in my son's kinder class and there was one girl that never finished her work, she always had to be separated from the other kids because she would disrupt them. She was a very smart and outgoing girl, but she was always in trouble. I couldn't help but think there was an underlying problem with her. A.D.D came to mind. I am not saying your son has A.D.D but no one really took the time to figure her out, they just put her to the back and that was that. I hope that you figure it out though

Nadine-- interracial family (and proud of it!) SAHM, Army wife, bossy, boy raising, family loving, Adult Child of an Alcoholic surviving, rap music listening, t.v loving, animal loving, involved in my kids schooling, volunteering, college going, in love with my two beautiful boys kind of mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)