• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to much stuff????

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son is only in 3rd grade and you'd think he was in high school . geeezz He has 2 teachers 1 teaches language arts and the other math history and science. The math teacher said he needed 3 notebooks and 3 folders for each of his subject at the beginning of the year fine ok . He has all that in his book bag and he came home with 4 books 2 hard cover and 2 soft cover so he has 4 books 3 notebooks 3 folders all in his bookbag that thing is super heavy for me. 

ok 2nd complaint lol then today my son came home with a note saying he needs all this stuff its like 50 bucks worth of stuff. How is he going to need all of it? if every kid has to bring it in its alot of stuff. Does anyone else think this is excessive or is it just my PMS. hahaha

4 pencils

colored pencils

crayons

2 pink erasers

5 folders (um I already bought 3 he needs 5 more WHY)

colored markers

3 highlighters

ream of printer paper

ruler

5 spiral notebooks (same as folders he already has 3 why would he need 8 notebooks)

scissors

glue sticks

wide ruled notebook paper

supply box

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

IDK, but that seems like a lot more stuff for you to purchase.  I can see the pencils and erasers, they go through those - but the folders????

CrazedMomof2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM

If this is all he needs for the year it doesn't seem like alot. I know all of this could have been purchased for less than $20 had it been done when back to school started here. Everything is always way cheap!

Good luck. You can always call the teachers and ask why so much stuff if you are concerned.

momk23
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Yes, that's about what we had to purchase too, although our lists are posted on the school website during the summer so we can take advantage of the back to school sales.  Generally this is meant to last the whole school year.  Last year my son's class ran out of lined paper in about April though so the teacher asked for more donations.  I always purchase more than we need when everything is on sale and stash it in a cabinet for backup, so I had plenty to donate.

BTW I remember this year he had to bring in 2 dozen #2 pencils!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I think getting the list now is a bit over the top. Considering most of the stores aren't offering the sales any longer. But I don't think it is too much stuff. My son had to have a folder, notebook, packs of loose leaf paper and binders for each subject.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I agree these schools are asking a lot of parents. What do they do with the money they get for each kid and the taxes where is that being spent. Its frustrating.

kathy5980
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

As a teacher, I can testify to the extreme financial hardships that schools are facing. The money that schools get for each kid is not necessarily spent on supplies, but also textbooks, teacher salaries, classroom aides, utilities, etc.

Usually the government makes schools divide the money received from different grants and titles into different pools, and you can only spend the money certain ways. But in these economic times (well in my state, anyway) they have slashed the money going to the schools by almost 50% and schools are scrambling trying to find creative ways to juggle the money just to keep the electricity bills paid and keep their doors open.

Quoting LancesMom:

I agree these schools are asking a lot of parents. What do they do with the money they get for each kid and the taxes where is that being spent. Its frustrating.

berlgirl1224
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

other than the notebooks, my first grader needed all those things. he did not need all those things your son already took to school, and he did not get all those books. that sounds VERY heavy. my son complained to me yesterday about not wanting to carry his bookbag because t was heavy. it had his folder and an empty lunchsack in it. (the soft, vinyl lunchsack). i said, "wanna trade?" and handed him mine, which had my algebra/trig book, binder, notebook,folder,calculator,pencils,pens,book,and glasses case in it. he wasnt amused

LilGina
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

ok well I feel alittle better knowing that other ppl had to buy all this stuff lol

JulieBrown
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

WOW!  I guess if you were given the list in the summer when there were sales things would be different.  Now all of the school supplies are FULL price.  :-( 

DaisyCP
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

We actually had a longer list and my kid is in First grade. I don't understand where all the tax money is going if we have to bring all the supplies.  I think it's a lot but what can you do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)