Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't do spelling - WTH?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM
  • 33 Replies

So my daughters teacher doesn't do spelling words. She is a 3rd grader. Her spelling is horrific. I sent an email, and the teacher responded by telling my dd why she doesn't do spelling. She doesn't like paperwork. WTH? Is that actually what she told dd to say? What happened to direct communication with the parent - a note, a return email? I liked her teacher when I met her. She seems nice. Truthfully, I had a bit of a hard time following her instruction on math the day a sat in class. I have parent/teacher conferences next Monday. I will be getting a better explanation on this. But I am still just in awe as to what teacher thinks spelling can be left out just because they don't like doing papers? Isn't it a required part of school?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Sadly it really isn't required in school anymore.  If the teacher isn't willing to do spelling, do it at home on your own.  It doesn't matter where she is learning how to spell, so long as she learns it.

sugarhigh
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

If I were you, I'd get to the bottom of the situation.  Definitely a topic to discuss at conference.  I'd also take a look at the report card.  If there is a section for spelling, it is something that needs to be taught.  You could also look up the curriculum possibly on the district, school, or state education website.  That information should be public.  Where I live, spelling is still part of our curriculum which is required to be taught. 

Weird. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I agree.

And OP if you need a list of words each wk for your third grader to work on I will more than happy to share my 3rd grader's list. Just let me know.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Sadly it really isn't required in school anymore.  If the teacher isn't willing to do spelling, do it at home on your own.  It doesn't matter where she is learning how to spell, so long as she learns it.

chcon
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM

How utterly unprofessional of her - especially the reasoning.

I responded to my daughter's 4K teacher from last year when she wrote the entire email without any capitalization.  I told her it was not professional (I'm sure she was just trying to be 'cute'). 

Having been a teacher myself, it really annoys the hell out of me when teachers do not act professional.  I'm sorry she can't seem to bring herself to be responsible enough to do her own paperwork. What a sad excuse.

mom2zachandalex
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

WOW! You would think that it would be required.  My son is in 3rd grade and has spelling homework every night

Threescoops
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Yes, I can do spelling with her at home. I don't mind doing it either, but the school should be teaching it as a foundation. Her twin brother does spelling each week in his room. So I can take his list, or even go to spellingcity.com. It is just the fact that a teacher would not teach something because she "doesn't like paperwork". I looked at our school website. It lists what the children need to know each grading period by grade. By 4th grading period for 3rd grade it says this (among additional items as well) - Spell correctly one-syllable words that have blends, contractions, compounds, common spelling patterns and common homophones. So that means it is required right? I will be printing the 4 grading periods out and taking it with me.

We have had a hard time adjusting to this school. Our township had budget cuts and closed 2 of our Elem. schools (my kids being one of them). This school seems so different. Where last year all 3 of my kids had 30-45 min. of homework, this year, my 4th grader is given time to do in class, and never has any (we make him bring it home to check it still though). My dd is instructed to read and do multiplication 30 min. a night, but nothing sent home, and my ds (her twin) has only 1 worksheet a night to do. Otherwise they do everything in class. I never thought I would complain about not having homework to do with the kids each night, but it concerns me. I makes me feel like at the end of the grading period I am going to find out that my child is falling behind. Because when you do homework with your child you learn what they are having trouble with and can find ways to help them. I really can't wait til Monday to meet with their teachers. 

texasmom1800
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

That's crazy.  The teacher sounds lazy.  I'd talk to the principal.

justanotherjen
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

My kids' spelling is weird this year.  Last year they had spelling workbooks and did pages in it every night and/or wrote their spelling words (usually about 20 plus extra credit words) 5 times each.

This year they don't have spelling words, just a list they have to know to pass the grade.  I haven't seen anything from my 5th grader but she's an excellent speller (I don't think she's ever gotten anything but an A in spelling and had 100% in 1st and 2nd grade, never missing a single word both years).  My son said they took a big test the 2nd week of all the words and I guess they just have to work on the ones they didn't get right.  He's in 3rd grade.

My 2nd grader gets 5 words to work on each week.  She has this list of fun assignments to pick from to help her learn the words and they have a quiz  at the end of the week.  This week her words are again, say, many, tell and something else (can't remember off hand).  She chooses to look each word up in the dictionary (I had to actually teach her how to do that, though).

She got 100% on her quiz last week so I guess it works.

hill2
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM

man my son is in second grade and gets like 20 words! Last year it was 12. The spelling he does with this teacher is different though its about learning word patterns and not all kids have the same words. He struggles with spelling and this new way is a challenge for us. I would probbaly go to the principle...do other teachers in this grade do spelling?

star92543
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM

That is just awful. My daughter which is in 1st grade does spelling every Monday. Then the rest of the week is working on the spelling/sight words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)