Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

HELP!! I need to help requesting an Intradistrict School Transfer

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

I recently moved to Oregon and my children attend a school that is their "assigned" school. I am looking for a good reason to change my childrens school to a different one within their district. The district looks at each Intradistrict transfer individually and I need a "good" reason to change schools. I am not happy with the school, teachers or extra-cirricular activites offered at the school but that is not good enough for them. Please help me. If any of you have been approved for a transfer, what was your reason?

by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Tell them the truth!

jcempa
by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I called and told them the reason I wanted to transfer my children (unhappy with the teachers, etc..) and they advised me the board would deny me because to them, it wasnt a good enough reason.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Sorry. Where I live you go to the assigned school, the only exception is if the child has special needs as some of them are only offered at 1 or 2 of teh elementaries.

Here's a bump.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

JaivonsMommy
by on Oct. 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Where I live the only exception is if the parents job and daycare are to far from the home school. I had to do this for my oldest and it was such a pain but I have him in the school I want him in now. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Quoting JaivonsMommy:

Where I live the only exception is if the parents job and daycare are to far from the home school. I had to do this for my oldest and it was such a pain but I have him in the school I want him in now. Good luck!

that is not even an exception here. licensed day cares/providers the district provides busing for. but if it's "private" (ie relative/friend) then you need to find transporation unless it's teh same school zone.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Sorry, but it sounds like you're stuck!  

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Does the desired school have a special program or learning opportunity (a subject magnet or a language immersion program, for example) that isn't found at your home school or elsewhere in the district? I think that may be the only way you'll be able to be approved for a transfer. Good luck!

emilyrosenj
by on Oct. 15, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Are there specific reasons you don't like the teachers or the extracurricular programs?  I would list specific reasons and how it is having a negative impact on your children's education and long ter success.  If you have facts and specific reason they are more likely to listen then just saying you don't like the teachers or the extra curr activities.  Ask yourself specifically what it is you dont' like about the teachers, what activities does the other school have that yours doesn't, how will this make a difference for your children long term.  You may have to ask more than once but don't give up.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Is their current school failing NCLB?  If so, I think they have to grant transfers.  I suggest checking into that.

Mena929
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Your best bet would be to move but I'm sure that isn't an option right now. You may just have to work with the school and see about switching teachers? Sorry mama.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)