Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Chore Chart for 5 year old girl.....

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

So Lyndall loves to help and do things around the house. One thing she hates is cleaning her room, what a shock! I want to make a chore chart for her. Obviously her room is going on it. I was wondering what other kinds of things other moms have on chore charts for their 5 year old? Also, how do you reward a completed chart? Do you do an allowance or special toy? If you do allowance, do you pay by the chore or if the chores are not done, your child gets nothing? Thanks!!

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

by on Nov. 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
angie729
by on Nov. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

My youngest is 7 now but for years some of his chores have been to wipe down the window ledges and baseboards..take cushions off the sofa and vaccuum them..make sure books are on the bookshelf the right way...put his laundry away. I usually reward him by taking him to the park or something like that.

snowmommy0406
by Member on Nov. 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

My daughter is 6 and this is how her chores work, on mondays she gathers all the laundry in the house and takes it to my laundry room, tuesdays she has to clean off and under the kids' activity table, on wednesday she has to wash out bathroom sinks and counters, on thursdays she gathers all the trash from all the trashcans in the house and takes them out, and fridays she cleans her bedroom really well, then on friday she gets her allowence as long as all the chores got done for the week.

NearSeattleMom
by on Nov. 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I don't have a chore chart (I am horrible about follow through) but good luck!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

We don't really do a chore chart, but my boys have had chores that they are responsible for since they were about 3 years old.  They are completely responsible for their rooms, cleaning up toys, making beds, dusting, vacuuming, putting away clothes, etc.  They are also responsible for cleaning the familyroom since that is where most of their toys are - again picking up toys, dusting, vacuuming.  They feed the dog and do some yard work too.

We don't do allowance in my house, I'm not paid for doing my chores so why should they get paid?  We are all part of the family and we all need to pull our own weight to help out around the house.  Basically if they don't do their chores, they don't get to do anything else, including tv and video games.  Homework comes first, then chores, then fun time. 

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM
No tips for u :( I fight my 5 year old allll the time just to pick up her room. My husband has said for a very long time that she is to young to do chores. Well that has created a girl who will barely help carry in some groceries. She did however promise me today that will clean her room tomarrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcsmummy
by on Nov. 27, 2010 at 2:10 AM

my girl is almost 6. her chores are tidying her room (with help), clearing the dinner dishes, helping to fold laundry and putting her own away, sweeping (she chose this one), helping to tidy the livingroom, bringing her laudry basket downstairs twice a week. on her chart we also put be respectful and keep your hands and feet to yourself. she has 7 things for each day, and if she gets 5 of them every day of the week she gets a reward on saturday. tomorrow we are going for hot chocolate and the santa clause parade as a reward.    

luvmyredboys
by on Nov. 27, 2010 at 3:57 AM

My 5 yr old picks up dirty laundry, puts clean dishes away, helps vacuume.  We don't do allowance..I like the lady that said she doesn't get paid so why should the kids for things she's doing.

MomNtheRes
by on Nov. 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Dd just turned 6. Her chores for a while have been using the scrub brush on the toilet basins (she begged me to be able to do this...I have NO clue why lol), rinsing her dishes, gathering trash, sweeping the kitchen, and cleaning her room. We did it as follows: Mon- Clean her room, Tues- sweep kitchen, Wed- room, Thurs- straighten bathroom, Fri- room. On Tues and Thrus she had swim lessons, and on the other days after her room was clean she could watch TV. 

You know- its been a while since I've had a chart, I think I may get one up before the weekend is over. It reminded her it had to get done and seeing it reminded me to make her do it. I'm kinda bad about following through as well. 

lyndallsmom
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Thank you for all of the responses and great ideas!! Now I just have to sit down and put something together for her.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN