Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Help from our schools pto.

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM
  • 8 Replies
My youngest son Nathan wears glasses and they broke in school a few weeks ago. Well i had to order him a new pair and even though he has medical ass and we only have to pay 42.00. That is very hard to come by so while talkin to my mom she suggested i call his school and see if maybe there was a way that he could get his glasses and they pay for them. I talked to the guidence coulnser and asked if they would help. Indeed did they help they went above n beyond. I had a check waiting for me in the office. And with that check was a white envelope with 145.00 cash in it. A note inside read please except this offering its not much but we figured u could use it for whatever you need or want. I was floored i cant thank them enough. So come on ladies share ur holiday stories and traditions and payin it foward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:32 AM

That is wonderful, I am glad they were able to help you in your time of need.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Wow! That was very generous of them!

insanemomof4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Thanks yeah thats what i thought. I teach my kids about giving back to others is such an awesome feeling and needing to ask for help is ok as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JesF419
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Very awesome!

DDDaysh
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM

:-)  That's cool.  Most schools have a fund set aside that is funded by donations (from the PTO, and alot from teachers, they generally can't fund it with tax money) to buy things to help kids succeed in school.  It's a bit of a *slush fund* but for a good need. 

That fund tends to buy alot of glasses, since many parents have a hard time with it.  It's bought some hearing aids too, and clothes, and jackets, and shoes.  Most schools know that it's hard for kids to succeed when they don't have the right tools, so try to provide a way for kids to get those tools. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

This is very true.  I was the person that those requests got sent to and I thoroughly enjoyed doing that job.  I never personally knew who the money went to, the school counselor would just let me know that a student needed X$ for xxxxx and I would get the money together from the special circumstances fund and get it to the counselor for her to get to the parents.

Quoting DDDaysh:

:-)  That's cool.  Most schools have a fund set aside that is funded by donations (from the PTO, and alot from teachers, they generally can't fund it with tax money) to buy things to help kids succeed in school.  It's a bit of a *slush fund* but for a good need. 

That fund tends to buy alot of glasses, since many parents have a hard time with it.  It's bought some hearing aids too, and clothes, and jackets, and shoes.  Most schools know that it's hard for kids to succeed when they don't have the right tools, so try to provide a way for kids to get those tools. 

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

wow, how nice!

One of my former bosses knew I was going through hard times, and knew my salary wasn't enough (I asked for a raise, but according to company policy, I was already at the top tier of my range--for an admin assist) anyway, someone heard me say I would do translations if only I had a faster computer at home (I swear I could type two sentences, leave the room, brew some coffee, come back and the thing would still be "thinking" and showing the first letters I typed on the screen!)... so he bought one of the laptops that the company was retiring that year (2 years old), AND the software, and had them clean the computer and gave it to me as a Xmas gift... complete with a spare battery and case! I was speechless! Specially because I had been praying for a way to buy a computer, even if used, that was better than the one at home. I did that during my lunch break, and when I came back someone told me the boss was looking for me, and he gave me that gift. Truly God anticipates our needs and sends angels to help us!

camy41075
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

That is so nice....I have helped out last year this lady needed money to get her kids a christmas gift out of layawy so I wrote my check over and handed her the cash. Now I do not mean to sound awful b/c I did have the money and did not expect even a thank you. But I was at the store a few weeks ago and I had to buy milk and some cereal but I did not have enough money we are very tight this year for sme reason. But went to this ladies line and I thought the milk was on sale for 200 and the cereal was only 197 well milk went off sale that day and it was up to 250 so I came up 50 cents short and I asked her if I could run home and get my pennies and bring it back to her she told me no I do not trust you.....really I was floored.

So even tho I do help people I am very careful on who I help now b/c this lady did not use the money for her children she went to bingo w/ it and bought a case of beer. I guess i had egg on my face...it just sucks b/c right now we need the help and no one will offer to help us but oh well Good for you anyway....I did not know schools do that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)