Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick advice needed!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 14 Replies

I am making this post for a friend of mine.  Our kids are not in kindergarten yet, they go to Head Start.

Well, on Monday she was running late getting her son at the bus stop.  She got there as the bus was getting ready to pull away, so she stopped the bus and told them she was there to get her kid.  They told her he is not on the bus.  She found him in the parking lot with another parent, that luckily was paying attention and saw him wandering around the damn parking lot.  He was let off the bus with no one there to get him.  It is their job to make sure that an authorized pickup person is there.

So she of course goes to the school and raises hell.  She has been at the school the past 2 days talking to everyone.  They inform her well we gave him to Brandy (the mom's name), she replies I'm Brandy and I was NOT there!  So then they say well we gave him to someone with a ponytail.  WTF!!!  Seriously I have a ponytail most of the time.  So I could just go and get her son off the bus?

I told her to take the school's handbook with her and show how it states in black and white that they are supposed to keep hands on the child until the parent (or authorized pick-up person) comes and takes hands on the child.  If they do not know the parent or whoever then they are supposed to call the school and verify with the school and photo ID that the person there is authorized to get the kid.  These rules are set in place to protect our kids, and they just let the kid off with mom nowhere in sight.  They were about to drive away for crying out loud!

Now she is looking for advice on what should be done and I haven't a clue.  The director wants to chalk it up to a mistake and a learning experience, and basically sweep it under the rug.  But what if it was your kid?  Thankfully we live in a small town, but damn he still could have been kidnapped or hit by a car, or whatever!!

So what would you do if it was your kid?  What is a proper reprimand for this?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I would lodge a formal WRITTEN complaint with the school board. 

Go on record with the incident and request an outline of the training that will be implemented to ensure all drivers/employees are following established guidelines.

auroragold
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Sorry - I see that it's Head Start - so no school board.

However, I would still follow the same process:  a formal written complaint to the director, copied to the Board of Directors.

quickdraw
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Thanks!

kenziewenzie
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I'm sorry but that bus driver needs to be fired.  Did her child say he thought that was his mom and that's why they lef him off the bus?  The bus driver should have a copy of who is authorized to pick him up with him on the bus.  School's been in session since August/September so he should know by now what his mom looks like.

Something similar happened to my son on the first day of school.  His teacher had him get on the wrong bus after school.  First time riding one too.  The bus driver dropped him off at another school without telling anyone and the principal found him wandering around the school hall.  Plus the driver wouldn't go back and get him to bring him back to his own school.  We had him fired.

piget2003
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I would raise hell and if nobody did anything about it I would go to the media and do whatever it takes to get them in trouble. I had a similar thing happen when my daughter was in preschool. somebody walked into the center asked for my daughter and they went and got her and gave them to her. the teacher never stayed around or anything. Thank god I knew the people and they called and told me what happened. I went as far as calling the licencing board and they had to close down for a day and do a 3 day class. When it comes to our childrens saftey its our job to make sure they will be safe. I have no problems creating drama if it needs to be there to insure my child will be safe at all times.

mommyk5
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Glad we don't have a bus.  

MsAzucar
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Call your local news reporter and put them on blast.  I just watched the news yesterday, when a mother said her five yr. old was allowed to leave the school, walk home by himself when no one was watching him in an after-school program and go to the school board.    

quickdraw
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Wow, it is so sad that most of you have similar stories.  She said she has contacted the local newspaper and she is waiting on a call back from the editor.  I'm also glad that you all agree with needing action to be done.  She has had some people tell her that she is over-reacting.  I don't get that.  Thanks for all your advice and i will pass it along.  She also got the number for the Regional Director who is over all the Head Starts in the south, waiting on a call back.

CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Quoting auroragold:

I would lodge a formal WRITTEN complaint with the school board. 

Go on record with the incident and request an outline of the training that will be implemented to ensure all drivers/employees are following established guidelines.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I am suprised they have the Head Start kids riding the bus though.

I am pretty sure they don't offer that here. Even though the headstart classes are on the campus with the schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)