Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very frustrated

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

My kids' teachers, especially my 3rd grader, send so much homework home that I have also discovered has not been taught in class.  My DD came home with division homework and they haven't even started on multiplication because we parents are expected to do that part now.  We even have a log to fill out concerning which numbers and how long. It is frustrating and ridiculous!  I should be reviewing the work with her not teaching it all to her!  I am seriously considering applying for home school next year.  On top of all this her teacher revealed that they spent 10 minutes a day on Science and history. Geography is gone with the dinosaurs!  And they are pushing reading, English and math above everything else. It is sad.  They are cheating the children out of a well rounded education!

Mamaford2wink mini

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Unfortunately, reading, English and math are what standardized testing cover, so those subjects get all the attention. As for homework on what they haven't covered yet, I don't know what to say- I've never heard of that. We've had to work on math facts for a certain amount of time, but not actually teach them. Do all the teachers do that, or just your dd's? A call or email to the school might be in order on that one.

menmy2lilmen
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I would talk to someone at the school and see if its just something this teacher is doing. My sister is a teacher and yes they do really work on Reading Math and grammar but her school and my sons school also teach science ect. The reason they push the core subjects is because that is what the government bases their addition funding on.

It just sounds like your daughter is in a bad class. I would try switching her.

auroragold
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Interesting that work is being sent home for topics not covered yet. Is that standard for the district or the school?

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM

So what at the students doing all day if they're not doing what's covered in the homework and they're not doing science, social studies, etc.?  Have you talked to the teacher's about your concerns? Most schools have a daily schedule that covers the additional topics you mentioned, and the teacher should have distributed that schedule to you. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Here, in Minnesota, science is part of the standardized testing at grade levels.  My son is in 5th grade, and it will be his first year of having science on the standardized test.  Is that not common in other states?

Quoting wakymom:

Unfortunately, reading, English and math are what standardized testing cover, so those subjects get all the attention. As for homework on what they haven't covered yet, I don't know what to say- I've never heard of that. We've had to work on math facts for a certain amount of time, but not actually teach them. Do all the teachers do that, or just your dd's? A call or email to the school might be in order on that one.

heybooboo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Until 4th Grade most schools go with a Learning To Read approach in the younger grades.  And then at 4th grade switch to Reading To Learn approach.  That is when you will see more emphasis on science and social studies. 

I don't know about the division/multiplication homework.  Although both my kids had it as well, and the teachers were good at explaining why.  I can't remember why now.  But it was reasonable.

rkoloms
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

How awful! Are there other school options in your area?

SmoochyPoochy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM
My DD's elementary school started with the standardized testing for science and social studies in 3rd grade, they alternate every year so one year is science and the next is social studies. In 4th grade they do science, social studies, math, writing, reading. In 4th grade their PASS testing scores for math and reading determine what type of class they will be in for that subject and if it's for the full year or just for extra help. Her school this year hires extra teachers for math and reading so the ones that need extra help have a smaller classroom and can get more one on one attention than in a larger classroom with 20 kids. As far as the homework and it not going along with classwork I would call and schedule a parent teacher conference.
alisha34886
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I would definitly talk to his teacher about this.That doesn't sound right.My kids teachers always cover things in class and sends home there homework.That would really concern me.

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Reading, writing and math are pushed at my son's school too and if they have time they'll do science or social studies but that is rare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)