Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charter Schools

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

I live in El Paso, TX and I have not been happy with the public school system here at all.  It seems the teachers are moe worried about making sure the students can pass a state test rather than teaching the basics. It seems all that is taught is how to pass the test.

Well, I have been wondering about Charter schools.  I have a friend that has her middle schooler in a Charter school here and has no problems with the school. I have gone and looked at the school and applied for DD next year.  Now I am just curious about others that may have currently or have had their children in a charter school; do you like it, how well is your child doing, do they focus on all the subjects with a little more emphasis of specific subjects or is it focused only on specific subjects?  any and all opinions are welcomed.

grandmaThe decisions of the past are what help shape our future.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Every charter school is different, just like every private school and traditional public school are different.  My suggestion is to tour the school while it's still in session and try to research it some.  We live in an area where charter schools are very popular, and the public school district also has magnet schools.  Every school--regardless of the funding or district--seems to be unique, and some are a good fit for some kids and not so much for others.

NearSeattleMom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM

We don't have charter schools in my area (that I'm aware of) but I did pull two of my kids out of public school and put them into virtual school and that has worked well for us.

rkoloms
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Charter schools, like other schools, are not all good or all bad. I would be espcially leary of the ones run by for-profit corporations.

alisha34886
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I never heard of charter schools.The only schools in my area is public,private and home schooling.

SmoochyPoochy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM
We had a charter school open up last year in our area. I put a lot of thought into enrolling DD. I eventually decided against it, not because of the education aspect of it but because of the way they have their classrooms set up and I know how my daughter is. Ok maybe a little of it was the education because it was going to be their first year I didn't really know what and how they were going to be teaching and they wouldn't have been ranked yet. My daughters school district is really good with education, at least one of the schools in our district wins a award every year. The charter school here they are required to wear uniforms which to me isn't that big of a deal, they do yoga daily which also isn't that big of a deal. They divide the students into classrooms by gender, all boys in one room and all girls in another, this is where my problem came into play lol. My daughter is a talker, a big talker and she is worse when she is around girls constantly so for her to have a mixed gender classroom so I can have to option to put her around boys to keep her from talking is a plus for me. If it hadn't of been same sex classrooms and the school wasn't all the way downtown which is a good 30 minute drive for me we would have put some serious thought into the charter school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)