Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What?!?!?!? (vent)

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

We just got our 3rd graders midterm home, he is failing almost everything.

One of them is spelling. And I just don't get it, he is bringing home 100% tests every week!! They want him to do the 'recommended' stuff to learn his words and aren't really willing to bend on the fact that he just can't learn them that way, we have tried it before in the past and he went from 100% to getting just 2 right. I talked to the teacher and she told me that it is fine, but yet she is failing him!! This is so unfair to my kid that she would do this.

He is also failing in his writing workshops at school, she won't send anything home to help fix this grade but just says it's because he just draws on his paper, I have seen his papers, he draws a picture and then writes a story about it. How is this wrong??

She decided to start having the kids journal, with out letting the parents know she was doing this as far as I can tell. I have talked to other parents and they knew nothing about this so all of thier kids are failing this one as well.

He is failing nearly every subject, she keeps sending home notes that he is distracted in class and isn't finishing his work. He says (and shows me the paperwork to prove it) that he finishes and then colors to keep himself busy while everyone else is finishing as well. Personally I think she is singleing him out and making him feel bad. He isn't allowed to read the books that he likes, she  won't let him and doesn't count the reading time if it isn't an approved book by her. He is into science planets and math so those are the types of books that he reads am I supposed to discourage him reading and make him read something that he isn't going to enjoy?? This doesn't make sense, why would a teacher discourage something like this? I have talked to the principle but he just makes the comment that she is a good teacher and that I'm just not giving her a chance. This is making me more and more frustrated!!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kim24kids
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I think it's time for a meeting w/the principal.

Hope you can get it figured out ASAP!good luck

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I think you need to have a meeting with both the teacher and the principal. Go in with a "how can we fix this" attitude and maybe they will take notice. Bring examples of what you have said to us and try to gentley make your point (hard when you are frustrated.)

If you are not satified with the results, I would let the principal know that the school board is your next stop.

Sariah747
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I've met with the principal twice now and he keeps telling me the same things, maybe it's your child, the teacher is great, no one else has complaints, you just aren't giving her a chance, blah, blah, blah. I'm just tired of having to listen to it, I've requested a transfer for him but the teacher won't approve it. I' thinking of pulling him but don't want him to miss out on the social part of school. What to do, what to do...

Quoting Kim24kids:

I think it's time for a meeting w/the principal.

Hope you can get it figured out ASAP!good luck

Armywife1998
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM

it sounds like ti is time to go further up the chain, go to the school board.  I had this problem with DD a few years back and come to find out the principal and teacher where VERY good friends.  Once I got the AST Super involved it was surprising how DD was passing everything and was a great student.  DD is a GT student and was doing outstanding in her GT classes but somehow failing her regular classes, hmm.

Mimomof3boys
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I say it is time for a new school!

If you have already talked and tried to work w the teacher and the principal then you have to go higher up.

auroragold
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM

But if you have the tests that show 100% and the completed worksheets to back up your claims, then the principal should be questioning the grading system.

Pull it all together in chronological order, bring it and ask for explanation (maybe it's not ALL the work?) and ask for suggestions on how best to resolve the situation.

auroragold
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM

If you DON'T have all his paperwork, now is a great time to start collecting it and start a documentation trail. When you have things with grades/comments from the teacher on them, it's rather hard to dispute!

Sariah747
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM

At one point I had ALL of the sent home paperwork, that is until I went through and threw it all out!! This was before midterms though, I didn't realize that this was going on. He did get bad grades the last term and it should have raised the alarm to me but we were busy and I'm sad to say I wasn't the best mom and didn't pay as close attention as I should have. We started to have this problem at the beginning of the year, I talked to the teacher, things changed it wasn't until just recently that things had started up again!

Quoting auroragold:

If you DON'T have all his paperwork, now is a great time to start collecting it and start a documentation trail. When you have things with grades/comments from the teacher on them, it's rather hard to dispute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)