Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TY Nutritional education... now my 8 year old doesnt want to eat!!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

They have been doing nutritional education in class and going over eating healthy and such.  Well now my 8 year old son has it in his head he is going to end up fat "like mommy"  (YES his exact words) and so he doesnt want to eat....  He is around 4ft 10in. and barely weights 45 pounds.  His doctor even said he needs to PUT ON weight...and I agree.  His is skin and bones...  I had to sit with him tonight and watch him and keep telling him to eat every single bite of food on his plate and he was gagging on it after 3 bites...  Me and his father both talked to him and told him that he NEEDS to eat and in HIS case needs to put on weight because he is too skinny and if he is too skinny it will start making him sick and he will STOP growing...  Part of the reason Im only 5ft is due to poor nutrition and not eating enough when I was young....  My younger son has a doctors appointment next week and Im going to talk to him about my older son while Im there....  I never thought teaching a kid to eat healthy would be a bad idea but since they are throwing in the you can get too fat from eating the wrong things or too much part then its putting bad ideas into kids heads....  I would much rather have a healthy chunky child than a underweight too skinny sickly child. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I would have the doctor try and talk to him.

I have explained to my kids that everything in moderation is fine. We eat fairly healthy, but throw in treats. We also get plenty of time outside to play but they also get to play video games. Maybe if you could explain it to him that way, he may understand better?

OkieGirlKatrina
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Yeah I forgot the doctors appointment for my 15 month old is after I pick my older son from school so he will be with me at the appointment so I will definitely be talking to the doctor and having him explain to my son why HE needs to eat and not worry so much about getting fat.  I explained to him that Im bigger (I told him we do NOT use the word fat ever!) is because I have had 2 babies and when he has had 2 babies then he can maybe say he is overweight LOL...  He laughed at me.  

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Were you serving him healthy food for dinner?  Make sure that he gets plenty of fruits and veggies as well as lean meat and dairy.

Yes, everything in moderation if fine, but that doesn't mean that you can eat junk food every day or even once a week.  Once in a while for a treat is fine.  And just because a child is underweight doesn't mean that they should be eating lots of unhealthy foods either.  Talk with your doctor about what would be good choices for your son to eat healthy and stil gain the proper amount of weight.

No_Difference
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Maybe since they're going over eating healthy at school you can have him be apart of making dinner and explain to him what you're making and see if he can tell you what is healthy in the meal.  Also, the perfect portion size is the size of a fist and wrist of the individual (thats what the nutritionist told me) for most individuals.  That at least prevents overeating and as long as you're getting in a variety of fruits and veggies and proteins in that portion size, your body should be getting everything it needs to function properly.  Exercise/activity is also key tho too. 
Def. have the doc talk to him to ease his worries, but I think having him be apart of the meal making process might also help (it helped w/ my daughter).

momk23
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM

There is a good website called mypyramid.gov that you and your son might want to check out.  It gives all kinds of info about healthy eating, and even has a meal planning section where he can go in and plan meals.  He can plug in all the foods that he wants to eat for the day and it will tell him if he's getting too much - or too little - fat, protien, etc.  My son had to do this last year for cub scouts and it was a great learning tool.  Hopefully he'll learn that while it's not healthy to eat too much fat, it's also not healthy to restrict all fats from your diet.

rkoloms
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Perhaps it is the foods that you are offering that he is objecting to.

Here is a nutritious, calorie packed snack, that you can make together:

Dad's Sneaky Pudding
Makes 2 servings

This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
• 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries 
• 1 banana 
• 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder 
• 2 tsp. flaxseed oil 
• 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond) 
• 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice 
• 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk 
• 1/8-1/4 avocado 

Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth. 

Per serving: 336 calories, 7 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat. 

Robin in Chicago

alisha34886
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Try giving him Pediasure for kids.My kids love this stuff.There dr recommended it.

Bieg9093
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I get what you're saying.  Your child has taken the lessons too much to heart.  It sounds like it was not very carefully taught.  My friend's son is the kind of kid who washes his hands 20 times a day when they're learning about germs, won't eat during nutrition week, cries if he sees a can in the garbage when they're learning about recycling.  I'm surprised more kids don't get like this.

Share the development with the teacher.  Ask her to tell him to listen to his mother.  That's a pretty good lesson too.

rkoloms
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Quoting alisha34886:

Try giving him Pediasure for kids.My kids love this stuff.There dr recommended it.

Frankly, I am not surprised that a pediatrician would recommend that product:

Amount Per Serving
% DV*
Total Fat: 5g
8%
Saturated Fat: 1g
5%
Trans Fat: 0g

Cholesterol: <5mg
<2%
Sodium: 90mg
4%
Amount Per Serving
% DV*
Potassium: 420mg
12%
Total Carbohydrate: 21g
7%
Dietary Fiber: 3g
12%
Sugars: 17g

Protein: 7g
14%
Vitamin A 10% • Vitamin C 40% • Calcium 25% • Iron 15% • Vitamin D 40% • Vitamin E 20% • Vitamin K 20% • Thiamin 40% • Riboflavin 30% • Niacin 10% • Vitamin B6 30% • Folate 15% • Vitamin B12 10% • Biotin 15% • Pantothenic Acid 25% • Phosphorus 20% • Iodine 15% • Magnesium 10% • Zinc 10% • Selenium 10% • Copper 10% • Manganese 20% • Chromium 15% • Molybdenum 10% • Chloride 8% • Choline 15%
*Percent Daily Values (DVs) are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Buy PediaSure Now ButtonPediaSure Store Locator
Kids Chocolate Drink
Ingredients

WATER, SUGAR (SUCROSE), MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY OIL, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), SHORT-CHAIN FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE; LESS THAN 0.5% OF:CELLULOSE GEL, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CELLULOSE GUM, SALT (SODIUM CHLORIDE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, SOY LECITHIN, MONOGLYCERIDES, m-INOSITOL, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, TAURINE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, FERROUS SULFATE, SUCRALOSE, dl-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, L-CARNITINE, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, NIACINAMIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, THIAMIN CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, FD&C RED #3, RIBOFLAVIN, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3, AND CYANOCOBALAMIN.
Belovedmoonpixi
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Oy! have the doctor talk to him... I struggled with DD being underweight for at least 4 years... she is now "perfect" (height percentile and weight percentile are the same Yay!)... and yes, the doctor always talks to her about WHAT to eat (he chastised her for eating 3 pupusas in one sitting!) But sometimes she asks "Am I too fat?" and I tell her NO, the Doctor said you were on your ideal weight. (a couple of her friends have started freaking out about putting on weight... and one of them brags how they are 10 years old and she can still fit into a children´s size 6!) DD is 10 and wears size 12 or 14.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)