Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

using the leapfrog tag to teach a kindergartener to read?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

devlin is in a special program at school so hes not in real kindergarten so hes not learning to read just yet. his teacher is working would on him learn which letter is which and how to write all the letter up untill christmas break. than in jan when he goes back they will start on letter sounds. and she reads to the class and he can tell me the first and last work of the pagein a book but thats it. his nana order him a leapfrog tag set with a set of books to teach him to read. anyone have one and use it to teach your child to read? i also read with him everynight for 30 min. she ordered this one she got a good deal on it it comes with the tag and all the books above and she got a couple others.

Includes Tag™ Reader - Green, included Let's Play Tag! activity book, Learn to Read Book Set 1: Short Vowels, and Learn to Read Book Set 2: Long Vowels, Silent E and Y

A child's reading journey begins with small steps--explore the fundamentals of reading with this set of 12 books in the Learn to Read series!

Perfectly sized for little hands, the Tag Reader is a touch-and-talk reading device that brings stories to life like never before. As children touch the Tag Reader to the pages of specially printed storybooks, characters, pictures and learning activities spring to life, immersing children in the thrill of reading.

These Learn to Read Book Sets help children identify letter sounds and understand how the sounds come together to form words. Each set includes six books with exciting, engaging stories and audio to help young readers become more confident in reading basics. The included Tag Reading System will hold audio for all 12 books in these Learn to Read book series.

You can also see your children's progress in recent books, get detailed updates on the skills they are exploring and share in their accomplishments by creating a free account on LeapFrog® Learning Path.

*Based on a 2010 survey conducted by LeapFrog of teachers participating in its Tag Kindergarten Program who received Tag Reading Systems from LeapFrog for use in their classrooms.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CJM_SHM
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM

my son was also in a special program for preschool and kindergarten. I do think the tag helped teach him to read! It didn't seem like anyone really worked with him on reading, but he just began doing it. He actually started reading just before he turned 4. I think it's a great gift and a great idea to help.

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM

we don't have that.  BUT we started to teach our son the sounds of the letters a few years ago, and we let him play in starfall.com, that pushed him to wanting to read by himself.  He's 5 yrs old and can read pretty good for his age.

NearSeattleMom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM

The most important thing is to read to your child but those books look awesome!

kcook55
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM

yea they do look awesome but i already read to him its his homework to be read to for at least 15 min 7 days a week but 15 min isn't enough he would have me read to him for hrs if he could get away with it lol but my 3 yr old wont sit still that long

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM

My son learned to read by the time the Tag came out.  He had the system before the Tag.  I don't remember it's name.  I don't know if it helped his learning to read, but it made reading time at home fun.  So I would say it's a tool that could help, but it just depends on whether the Tag make the child more interested in reading or not.

charitymama
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM

My daughters both love the tag. My oldest daughter just uses it for fun because she was already reading, but my three year old is learning to sight read some words from using the tag. She knows all her letters and sounds and is learning to sound out words as well. We love all of the leapfrog products.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)