Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The (new) Seven Wonders of the World

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

In ancient times, the Greeks rallied around a list of marvels – seven "must see" destinations that included the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, and the Temple of Artemis. It was great for the Greeks, but it didn't take the larger world into account. And as the years went by, many of the wonders were destroyed. Of the original list, only the Egyptian pyramids still survive.

Still, the idea of the Seven Wonders of the World has trickled down through the years. This July, a brand-spanking-new version will be unveiled in Lisbon.

This time around, it's not power mongers or intellectuals alone who will decide the roster – it's regular people from around the world just like you – voting by phone or by internet. More than 20 million have weighed in so far, and it's not over yet. The voting lasts until July 6, 2007.

You and your kids can get in on the action at

http://www.new7wonders.com/community/en/new7wonders/new7wonders_of_nature/finalists

And even if you don't vote - the pictures are AWESOME and there are places I've never heard of before. Interesting and (shhhh) educational!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Like this very cool underground river

auroragold
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Or this:  Halong Bay

Cindy18
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Can't do it of this phone but will bump for later when I'm at a real computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

BUMP!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Ohhhhh PREEEEETTTTTTYYYYYY!

jmomma2003
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM
What happened to the taj mahal and stonehenge?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Pretty!

Bonnie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I remember reading about this last year. They have been working on this for some time now. To answer your question about the Taj Mahal and Stonehenge, they have decided that the seven wonders should be natural wonders. Not man-made. Pretty neat.

JuneBug1985
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Those are beautiful. thanks for sharing.

sandra1023
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Quoting Bonnie:

I remember reading about this last year. They have been working on this for some time now. To answer your question about the Taj Mahal and Stonehenge, they have decided that the seven wonders should be natural wonders. Not man-made. Pretty neat.

I thought there were 2 lists, 1 for the natural wonders and 1 for man made.  Are they not doing that anymore?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)