Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's go all the way tonight.....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM
  • 23 Replies

So, I just got back from driving the kids to school and I am listening to the radio... catchy tune...

"Let's go alllll the way tonight, no regrets, just love." 

.... wait what did i hear? A girl singing about wanting to a guy to have sex with her? Like she really has to convince him of it... or for a guy not to have regrets after... do guys have regrets after they can bag a girl? Especially one that so freely wants to give it up like the girl in this song?

"we can dance until we die, and we'll be young for- e-ver"

Oh girl. Wait til you sprout your first gray hairs and realize that is impossible.

"You. Make. Me. Feel, like I'm living a

Teen. Age. Dream.  The way you turn me on."

Ugh... teenage sex... no regrets. don't look back..... yeah, right. Tell that to the teenage girl that is pregnant and that boy is not around or now with another girl who wants to be his "teenage dream" too.

I must be a prude mom to think that this song send a really bad message to girls. That it is ok to just have sex because your infatuation in someone you think and mistake as "real love".... And when it isn't, will there still be "no regrets" like this song says?

"You put your hands on me, in my skin tight jeans, be your teenage dream, tonight."

This song makes me sick when I hear it on the radio. Too bad the tune is so catchy. The lyrics are horrible.

Add Katy Perry to my list of singers that I don't like.

(Edited to add- this post isn't about censoring, or banning)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

My poor kid is stuck with "old" songs because I know the lyrics so can turn off immediately.  I don't listen to the radio station that plays the new stuff (especially while driving) because I don't know the lyrics and can't pay such close attention.

Ah well............

Cindy18
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:14 AM
There have always been songs that promote teenage sex. I remember the song "So Horny" in the late 80's! My friends and I had a dance to it and everything. Did my mom know that? God, I hope not! IMHO, It's not the music or TV or the movies that make teenagers want to have sex, it's simply hormones and it's how you communicate with your kids that matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hepmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM
I'm with OP and Rora. Most of the time we just listen to my iPod.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Quoting Cindy18:

There have always been songs that promote teenage sex. I remember the song "So Horny" in the late 80's! My friends and I had a dance to it and everything. Did my mom know that? God, I hope not! IMHO, It's not the music or TV or the movies that make teenagers want to have sex, it's simply hormones and it's how you communicate with your kids that matter.

I remember that one too... I HATED that song!  I grew up in the 70s, but i don't remember listening to the songs on the radio much. I didn't get into music until I was in middle school and Casey Kasem's top 40 countdown, which only aired 1 morning a week, was on. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I listened to some interesting songs back in my day as well.

Exhibit 1 - ACDC You shook me all night long, that one is self explanatory.

Exhibit 2 - Warrant Cherry Pie, need I say more.

I could go on, but why.  Every generation has its songs and like Cindy, I think that it is more hormones than music.  Back in the late 60's it was the Beetles and don't forget that Elvis couldn't be shown from the waist down on tv because his hip shaking was so vulgar.   I choose to talk to my kids instead of banning things or avoiding them.

2cuddlebabies
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Im with steel, i would rather talk about it then avoid it by banning every little thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyG1976
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I love her :) I dont see it that way though I have a different view and take on the song being that she is 26 not 16. I had issues with my kids listening to certain songs (okay there are still some I dont allow) Then I was listening to some my old stuff and thought DAMNNNN it never made it me a drug dealing devil worshiping whore or anything for the most part didnt really know what all of it actually meant until I was much older.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

A great example of a sexually explicit song is Cyndi Lauper's She Bop.  Have you listened to that one lately?  I was about 13 or so when that one came out, I loved it, and it went completely over my head until I was MUCH older.

AmyG1976
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM

grrrr NOW that damn cherry pie song is in my head (taste so good make a grown my cry...)  and yea forgot that part if a songs words happen to eh cause question to my child then I just explain it in a none vulger kind of way. only time that happened was my 6 yr old(who LOVES "ms katy "-katy perry) listening to I kissed a girl. he said guurls can kiss guurls all wow eyed and I said YEP they sure can. anyone can love anyone.  he just shruged and said must not be that popular cuz I never saw it before.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I listened to some interesting songs back in my day as well.

Exhibit 1 - ACDC You shook me all night long, that one is self explanatory.

Exhibit 2 - Warrant Cherry Pie, need I say more.

I could go on, but why.  Every generation has its songs and like Cindy, I think that it is more hormones than music.  Back in the late 60's it was the Beetles and don't forget that Elvis couldn't be shown from the waist down on tv because his hip shaking was so vulgar.   I choose to talk to my kids instead of banning things or avoiding them.

justanotherjen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

My kids love Katy Perry.

I hadn't even paid attention to the lyrics until recently and was like, "OH, that's why everyone was so upset with that song," lol.  They still listen to it and we all sing along.

Right now my 4yo prefers the Fireworks song.  She knows most of it by heart.  The other day in the car she was singing that and Hot & Cold.

They don't listen to "kiddie" music.  They listen to whatever me and my husband listen to so Katy Perry is pretty lame (my husband listens to mostly hard rock/heavy metal and likes Eminem and Kid Rock).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)