Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mumps?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 4 Replies

There is at least 1 case of mumps at our high school.  My oldest ds is in 1st grade, so in no direct contact, but I don't know if there are brothers or sisters in the lower grades, or if someone else has it but it's not reported yet.  My biggest concern (my 2 older boys are up to date on all immunizations) is that my 7 week old will be exposed.  She has had no immunizations.  What can I do?  She has an appt for her first round of shots on the 21st, but I haven't even decided which ones she'll be getting yet.

I get that people have reasons and the right not to vaccinate, but I am terrified of what could happen to my baby girl who is too young to be vaccinated.  How can I protect her?  I know it's not in ds' school yet, but I don't want to wait until it's too late to take safety measures.  kwiM?

I am a liberal, bf, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, cloth diapering, vaccinating, boo-boo kissing, coachinganti cio, aphappy, proud of my well-researched choices, SAHM to two wonderful boys and a sweet little princess

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

As far as I understand it, if you follow the vaccine schedule outlined by the AAP then you should be fine.  Even the 7 week old will be fine because she will still have some of the antibodies passed on to her from you. 

I have a nephew who isn't vaccinated and he had mumps when my oldest was and infant and this is how my ped explained it to me.  My son never got mumps even though we were at a family function with the infected nephew the day before the mumps were discovered.

AmyG1976
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM

babies generally dont get the mumps common age group is 5-12 years. a grown man can become sterile from them. my dh had them when our 10 yr old was just a baby.  apparently the sterile thing didnot happen to him though lol.  it is very contagious passed from sneezing coughing laughing kissing. it can lead to brain swelling and meningitus  but that is rare. I would just keep her in away from anyone sick if anyone catches it they should prob wear a mask just in case and not directly care for that baby. our baby never caught it neither did I. I was NOT vaxed for it Dh was. Baby was not. I have never had them. I know my mother did though when she was 5 yrs old no issues from it. 

jdanielle82
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM

You just calmed me down quite a bit.  I'm breastfeeding so she is still getting antibodies through my milk too  Thanks!

AmyG1976
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

yea! I knew that from my kid (when dh had them) and well reading up on it.,it breastfeeding does help prevent. I didnot want to say though and well ya know if you weren't and cause upset then have ppl attack you for not me for saying ect ect ya know.. how that goes. but yes dh doc said we had really nothing to worry about because I was breastfeeding and the baby was really little don't remember how old I know he was over 7 weeks and dh did not directly care for him at the time.

Quoting jdanielle82:

You just calmed me down quite a bit.  I'm breastfeeding so she is still getting antibodies through my milk too  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)