Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Buy or Do You Buy....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

or allow your elementary kid to play a mature rated game?

I have some mixed feelings about all this. I would never allow my 6yr old to play or buy Modern Warfare, Gears of War, Dead Space (which is so gross imo) GTA or any of the mature rated game. I do know a lot of his friends parents and some of my friends do get them for your elementary kids. Now please do not take it to believe I think its going to make my kids into gun toting killers. I do not.... All the killing aside I still wouldn't due to the language they use. Maybe when they hit junior high when they are a little bit older and have a better sense of the games meaning. I am not even sure then though. At this point I think I wouldn't. It says 18 so you can wait until your 18.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

No. We hve a couple of 10+ games... but heck, Lego Indiana Jones is 10+.

Miranda1127
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Ds plays fall out w/ ds sometimes. But no, I wouldn't let him have his own game to play unsupervised.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Nope, my boys aren't permitted to play "mature" rated video games.  Mine are 7 and 10 and I pretty much limit them to anything E10+ and below rating. 

In my world it certainly has nothing to do with guns because both of my boys know how to shoot one.

CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM
No.
momofamonkey83
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I agree with you 100%.  My best friend has a 7 year old and so do I.  She allows him to watch the Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.  He's allowed to play the games you listed and all that stuff.  I personally don't let my son do any of that.  To each their own is how I look at life, but when it comes to my own child, no, he isn't allowed to have anything to do with that stuff.  At least not with me knowing it.

justanotherjen
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM

My kids play them.  I wasn't thrilled but those are the games my husband has for his xbox (GTA and call of duty).  Only in the last 5 months have our kids been allowed to play the xbox.  Before that it was off limits but my son (now 9) showed interest in learning to play Madden and it just kind of bloomed from there.  Him and my 10yo love to play call of duty.  They go around trying to kill each other (better them actually trying to kill each other in real life I guess).

Over the weekend my son spent an entire day playing with his best buddy (he's only here visiting his dad every other weekend so they spend the entire weekend together pretty much) and taking turns on GTA.

They enjoy them and as long as they don't effect their behavior I don't have a problem.  I've noticed my son using a little bit more bad language (nothing bad just words he knows he's not supposed to be using like damn and hell and thowing way more craps in there than he needs).  So I warn him about his language and if it continues he has to shut the game off.

They've been watching my husband play the games since they were toddlers, though, so all that's changed is now they are in control of the characters instead of just watching.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I gave up trying to stop this from happening in a house full of boys and a DF that is video gamer.

I have only one game I will NOT let them play and it is God Of Wars, because for some of the achievements and quest they have to have sex with the women in the game. TOO GRAPIC for a child to play.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM

My son is 11, and we let him play Call of Duty and Halo.  Several of his classmates are able to play those games also, and he'll play online with them sometimes.

We did not let him play when he was 6.

jess80
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

eh sometimes i always supervise and if it gets 2 b 2 bad then i turn it off or whatever

auroragold
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

It depends

1st - games can't involve killing other HUMANS. Monsters is one thing, other people is another

2nd - language - we must be able to turn off subtitles and/or voice overs so that bad language can't be heard

3rd - context. DH and/or I look at the game thoroughly before DD would even be allowed in the room while it's played. The games are usually purchased for us anyway so....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)