Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD 2-9-11 Vacation....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do you think it's okay to take your kids out of school to go on vacations?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarlinda
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM

If it's the end of the year then I see nothing wrong with it.

hepmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I would think it depends on the destination.  If it were a trip to Disney that was scheduled mid-year, then I would say no.  If it were a trip where they could possibly learn something that would help them along the line in their education, I'd say maaaaaybe. 

caitsmomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM

No. There are specific vacation times for them. I can see one day or maybe 2 but when kids are out for a week, I think thats nuts.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I am in the NO category as well, unless it is for a family function that can't be avoided or rescheduled like a funeral or wedding that they are part of the wedding party.  Although those aren't really vacations. 

My boys missed 3 days last school year for my brother's wedding.  It was a 12 hour drive to the location of the wedding and my boys were in the wedding party.  I felt guilty about them missing school, but it was unavoidable.  We got approval from the school 2 months in advance and had all of their school work that they would need to do before we left and it was completed when they returned to school.

LadyLuxy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM

If you were taking an extra day or two right before or after a school break (Fall, Christmas, or Spring) then I don't think it's too big of a deal but to just randomly pick a week during normal school session then no.

Miranda1127
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:40 PM

yes

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I have to say yes because I've done it too often.  I'm guilty of doing it just last month when we went to Paris... 

AND I took my son to Disney World in September two years ago... 

AND I've taken him out to visit family during Thanksgiving week...

But I do try to schedule vacations around times that are less busy in the school year.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:03 PM

No, they have 3 months during the summer to go on vacation...why do they have to wait till after school starts?  And even if they go to a year round school, they get so many weeks off...

family in the van   Mom of four

kerijeanbean
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Depends.  Is your child only going to miss a day or two or are they missing a whole week.  If you are going to miss a whole week I think it is okay if there aren't any major test and if you take the work they are going to miss with you and make sure they do it.  I have pulled my son a couple of times when he was only going to miss a couple of days.  The first time he was switching schools.  He was going to go for 2 days and then have three days off so I just started him at the new school after we got back.  

I try to plan vacations around their school schedule.

CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I think it depends on the child.

If your child is doing well in school, has not had a ton of missed days already and you can arrange to get work to do while on vacation then it is not a problem at all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)