Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calories on the Menu

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does your state have a law requiring the calorie count of a dish to be listed on the menu?  I'm in California and this law has recently been implemented.  Do you think it affects people's ordering habits?  Would it affect yours?  We rarely eat out but it is kind of weird seeing the calorie count next to everything you order.  Takes a little of the fun out of  a celebration if you don't go out to dinner that often.   I have mixed feelings about it.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CrazedMomof2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I am also in CA and have mixed feelings about it. While it is good to know, I do not believe it needs to be plastered right on the menu. Any place would give you a print out if asked..............I think it's a little over the top.

hepmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I've been counting my caloric intake for nearly two years now, and it's helped me lose 50 pounds as a result.  Many times, it can be really difficult to find the calories for something you've eaten or something you want to eat.  We went to Longhorn for my birthday last week and they had calories printed on the menu beside every food and drink item.  I liked having it there so I could make a better choice.  I was able to get something I enjoyed anyway, and didn't have to feel guilty about blowing my caloric budget for the day.  (Granted, I cheated because I had birthday cake, but I knew where I stood before I ate the cake.) 

There are MANY restaurants who have something on the menu that seems to be a very healthy choice.  For example, Cheesecake Factory's "Grilled Chicken and Avocado Club" sandwich is a whopping 1,750 calories.  I don't know about you, but when I see grilled chicked, I think of a healthier option than say, Chicken Alfredo (which packs 1,800 calories for the CHILD'S portion!).  If you see the caloric values on the menu, right there staring you in the face, it definitely helps you make a better, wiser choice. 

Barabell
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I wish they had that here.  There can often be hidden calories in the way a restaurant makes it's food, and so I would be nice to have that information clearly visible when making your decision on what to order.

Miranda1127
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

The state doesn't, but Philadelphia recently passed a law like this. IDK, it has affected my choices. It's amazing how horrible some of my favorite choices are. W/o the numbers on there...I would have guessed (on avg) they had 1/2 as many calories in them.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Personally, I wouldn't mind. It might make me more aware of the bad choices I make daily regarding my food choices.

caitsmomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:38 PM

We dont really eat out much so I havent seen a menu in a while. Yes it would help me make better choices. Sometimes when you think something is healthy its far from it. 

StephanieSH
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Quoting hepmommy:

I've been counting my caloric intake for nearly two years now, and it's helped me lose 50 pounds as a result.  Many times, it can be really difficult to find the calories for something you've eaten or something you want to eat.  We went to Longhorn for my birthday last week and they had calories printed on the menu beside every food and drink item.  I liked having it there so I could make a better choice.  I was able to get something I enjoyed anyway, and didn't have to feel guilty about blowing my caloric budget for the day.  (Granted, I cheated because I had birthday cake, but I knew where I stood before I ate the cake.) 

There are MANY restaurants who have something on the menu that seems to be a very healthy choice.  For example, Cheesecake Factory's "Grilled Chicken and Avocado Club" sandwich is a whopping 1,750 calories.  I don't know about you, but when I see grilled chicked, I think of a healthier option than say, Chicken Alfredo (which packs 1,800 calories for the CHILD'S portion!).  If you see the caloric values on the menu, right there staring you in the face, it definitely helps you make a better, wiser choice. 

It's true about things that are perceived as healthier.  Oftentimes a salad will have the most calories and fat on a menu.  Also, oftentimes marinara sauce will be made with butter to make it creamier and taste better.  There are a lot of  hidden calories in these types of things. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Our state hasn't that I know of....I don't think it'll hinder anyone's ordering...

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)