Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergarten Newbie...any ideas?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My ds will be starting kindergarten this fall and we are "shopping" for the perfect school for him..What should I look for in a school? Class sizes? Specialized courses? Please! Any and all advice is welcome! This is my first time on this! Thanks!

tattoo    I'm a tattooed, married to my HS SH James  in lovemama to

toddler boyBradley 2/28/2006      baby girlNatalie 12/22/2009

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM

When we shopped around for a kindergarten the things we were looking for was a full day kindergarten, test scores, the specialty classes (I wanted a second language and a well rounded education besides just reading, writing, and math), and transportation.

We were not able to tour the schools due to moving shortly before kindergarten started, but I would have done that if I had been able.  Instead, I used the advice of an employee at the district office plus calling around to some charter school office, and I used this website: greatschools.org.

Good luck!  I think the elementary applications here are due this month.

menmy2lilmen
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM

We could not pick our sons school for Kindergarten. I did pick my sons prek though. I looked for a school that used a curriculum that I liked and was familiar with. I toured the school, meet the teachers and liked it.

justanotherjen
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I have no experience with that.  My oldest went to our town public school.  The next 2 went to the Catholic school my dad enrolled them in when the PS in Chicago wouldn't take them when we moved (no room).  My youngest dd starts kindergarten in the fall and will go to the school we are mapped for.  There are really no other choices.  They only bus to school you live near by and I don't have a car so they have to take the bus.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

What kinds of schools do you have to choose from? (magnet, charter, private, etc.)

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

We are only allowed to go to the school in the district unless we want to pay for it.

BradleysMama06
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM

We have all types of schools to choose from. But being new to the area, we're not sure of which schools are the best for us. I've been all over greatschools.com and found some great schools. The problem is figuring out where their districts are, types of classes and having the time to tour and meet the teachers and staff...it's just so overwhelming and sad to say, DH is sorta leaving it for me to handle alone...  :( I could use all the help I can get at this point!

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM
What differentiates the schools? Do they have different educational models? Is there something you're doing to narrow down the search? Transportation was important to us, and so that narrowed it down to only a handful of charter schools and the public school district. Then we looked at the neighborhood schools, and they were crappy. So then we focused on the public magnet schools. We are thrilled with the school my son ended up attending. I would say one downside to the magnet school is that all his classmates are spread all over the city, and so it's a slightly bigger challenge getting him together with friends from school and seeing classmates at things like recreation centers and sports. But the quality of his education at his current school greatly outweighs the idea of putting him in a neighborhood school.
Cindy18
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM
This is great advice!.

Quoting Barabell:

When we shopped around for a kindergarten the things we were looking for was a full day kindergarten, test scores, the specialty classes (I wanted a second language and a well rounded education besides just reading, writing, and math), and transportation.

We were not able to tour the schools due to moving shortly before kindergarten started, but I would have done that if I had been able.  Instead, I used the advice of an employee at the district office plus calling around to some charter school office, and I used this website: greatschools.org.

Good luck!  I think the elementary applications here are due this month.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellarose1230
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

We are only allowed to go to the school in the district unless we want to pay for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)