Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have trouble with their child not wanting to stay in their chair?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son loves to sit on his feet or rock in the chairs. His teacher says she just takes the chair from him and makes him stand after so long but is there anything I can try at home to stop this. He loves to also rock in the chair to where it can sometimes fall over and no matter how many times it does fall over he gets right back up and do it again the next day. 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
auroragold
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I have no idea - but here's hoping that some other moms can give some suggestions

Kaethe
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM
my dd does the same thing but she isn't in school yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess1231
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM
If he's doing it at home too I would definitely not allow him to so he gets that he can't at home or school. I'm nit sure how to go about it though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Can your school give him a special accomodation to use a sissel seat on his chair or a theraband around the chair leg? He might have extra energy and these can help him expel it without interrupting the class. A squeeze ball could help too.

You could also ask that he have a special accomodation for a gross motor break. Sometimes gross motor work can help when it comes down to sitting and focusing.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I have a son that rocks a lot, but it's usually within the chair--instead of rocking the whole chair.  My suggestion is to try to redirect the habit with one that won't distract the class.  A friend of my son's has an oral habit where he chews on things constantly, and it was distracting him.  So his teacher actually keeps gum in the class to help keep him focused.  Maybe the teacher would be willing to try different things to help redirect his nervous habit.  I like the squeeze ball idea that mom22tumblebugs suggested. 

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM

At home, wrap a bungee cord around the front two chair legs. He can put his feet on the cord and bounce them a bit while he is sitting. (Same idea as a theraband).

soymujer
by Mikki on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Quoting auroragold:

I have no idea - but here's hoping that some other moms can give some suggestions

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)