Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BB Gun. What do you think?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM
  • 45 Replies

My son is 9 and he desparately wants a BB gun. Because he is used to playing with toy guns and pointing them at people, I am hesitant to let him have one. What do you think is the right age? What ground rules should he follow? Or do you think they are harmless and no more problem than a toy gun?

Kim  

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dwarfmomma
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:34 PM
My DD who is 9 wants a bb gun. We'll buy her one when we have the money. My number one rule will be she can only use it with an adult around. Also we will be teaching her gun safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dwarfmomma
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM
Also to add I live in the country and all the kids I know have guns or are around guns. The kids go hunting with there parents and all that stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissa632
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM
My ds is 7 & got one a few months ago. I wasn't sure that he (or I) was ready. I told him he could never point it at people, cars, houses etc. He also doesn't get to play with it unsuprvised, either. Its worked out so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM

IMHO, I think 9 is too young. I think it would be a whole lot more trouble than a toy gun. I've only ever let my son have Nerf guns or cap guns.

Cindy

Nysa
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I don't think they are harmless. I know someone who is completely blind in one eye because he was shot by one. Another kid was shooting it and it went into his yard.

Also, if you are AT ALL hesitent of it, than don't do it. Yeah, it's not a "real" gun, but it is a weapon.

nellyb118
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM
I'd say no. Sounds like an ER trip waiting to happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:40 PM

For me.. too young... but if you make rules as in only use when Mommy or Daddy is around... and no pointing at people/animals car etc... uhhh maybe...  I'm not a gun person....

cowboysgirl3227
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM

He is probably about the right age but I would definitely teach him some serious gun safety beforehand, such as never, never under any circumstance point a gun, toy or otherwise, at a person.  I think that would be the first lesson to teach him.  Tell him that gun ownership is a big responsibility and that he is only allowed to use the BB gun under adult supervision and stand firm on that.  If he does not take it seriously or follow your rules I would take the gun and put it away until he is a little older and ready for the responsibility.  I think that kids learning about guns and gun safety is important, I believe that is how they keep from getting hurt with a gun.  My parents taught us gun safety and respect for guns at a young age and it has never been an issue.  I think problems arise more often when a gun is the dark secret kept in the house but never talked about.  This is just my opinion.  My daughter is 9 and has shot a pellet gun, a .22 rifle, and a .22 pistol.  She knows gun safety and would never touch a gun without me or my husband right there with her.  If she has questions we answer them.

momk23
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I think my husband bought one for my son when he was 8.  Very strict rules though.  We have a target  that my husband sets up in the back yard, my husband is with him when he uses it and he is only allowed to use it for target practice, and he has protective glasses.

To be honest, the novelty wore off pretty fast.  I don't think he has used it at all in the last year.  He did to go cub scout camp and they shot bb guns there.

Jess1231
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM
I personally think it's fine we are avid gun people and are teaching our 5 year old gun safety. He is getting a small rifel next year that will only be used around us and locked up other times. But it is something that children need to know bc not knowing is when bad things happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)