Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Debate time! Is academic performance the best indicator of potential for success in life?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

What are your thoughts? Why?

by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jess1231
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM
In a way yes because if they always get bad grades it usually(not always though) means they are lazy. I'm talking about all throughout school not just a bad year. If they show pride and do their best in school they would show the same regards in a career. Also the ones who consistently hate school usually don't end up going to college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Too a point yes. Now days you need to go to collage and such and to do that you have to have descent grades, maybe not straight A's but good.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Not necessarily. Dh is a good example. He didn't do very well in school b/c he was bored; he cut a lot and ended up w/ a GED. He later earned an associate's in business, and has worked his way up in the USPS from mail handler to middle management.

bluestarr80
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

No. My husband did horrible in school during his K-12 years but by college he was a straight A student. He is successful now!

jaderica
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Depends on the student. Some kids get good grades because it comes easily to them and some kids have work for it. Generally speaking, I think that there has to something there to challenge them or they won't know how to meet challenges when they come, so I think the question is less how did they perform and more how did they respond to challenges.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Mar. 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

No, it's one indicator, but not necessarily the best. Some people are highly successful in non-academic fields.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Nope, I hated school.  I slacked off to no end and certainly didn't work up to my potential.  I now have a good job that quite a few people would kill for.

drivnkids
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM

no i cant say that it does the guy that owns vergin airlins and is making the new space ships for people in space never even finished school.....i think that so called school should stop at 13 and the education should be switched to a trade.....my social studies and history classes have done nothing for me and if i could have persued phycology and the arts i may be in a diffrent place in my life.

katzmeow726
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM
Nope. My dad goofed and flunked his way through school. He went on to have a lot of success in the military, and now runs his own behavior analysis company, and holds two master degrees! And is a brilliant person...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

No, its not an indicator but if someone works really hard in school to do well, it probably says a lot about their work ethic which can take you far.  Self esteem is tied in there too, I think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)