Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Camp Alternatives?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have been looking into day time summer camps. In our area one thing is in common; they all cost a lot! So, I am looking at alternatives for our 6 yr old boy this summer.(He is not prime time for sleep overs, camping, and hanging out with out some supervision.)

I am thinking of doing volunteer visits with him once an hour once a week at an older peoples retirement home (not a nursing home - he is too loud) where he could bring his art work, cookies, play Go FIsh with someone,  or bring something he has grown (like a tomato).

Other ideas include walking our dog at a special time and location once a week, and/or helping a friend clean out her horse stalls weekly (same time - same place). He already visits the play area at the YMCA when I go to work out (some days that really means "Hide out" in the loung room for an hour of peace, or doing a bike for an hour to "Veg out" instead of the typical "Work out)."

Any more suggestions?

(He already helps with house hold cleaning like vacuming, washing dishes, cleaning his room and dusting. Hey, he likes it, he likes it! And after all,  I Am his mom, not his maid...)

Thanks.

Linda

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I have no clue.  I don't schedule anything for my boys.  I spend most afternoons floating in the pool, sometimes the boys join me other times they play something in the yard.  After the structure and schedule of the school year, we enjoy our down time in the summer.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

We also try to NOT schedule too much, unless it is a vacation. But we do pack in a ton of outdoor fun.

natesmom1228
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I have a couple things planned, but for the most part summer is just a time to hang out and be together. Good luck

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM

A lot of times libraries and local rec centers have free or really cheap activities.  The local libraries in our area also offer free museum passes.  You might have to ask the librarian about free passes to get the offers.

Many book stores, like Borders, have a calendar of upcoming events for each month, and they might have a reading program too.

EDIT - The rec centers in our area have everything from cheap classes to swimming pools to indoor basketball.  So it's a great place to check out since it's usually filled with other kids to play with too.

menmy2lilmen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM

We have nothing planned but so much going on. I think you are on the right track here though. I would definitely check with the library. A lot of them do summer programs. I also think, being a farm girl myself, that the work on the horse farm it a good option. It do not hurt kids to learn to work a little. It could turn into a really good learning experience. 

veggietalesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Many libraries and Borders offer reading progrms  and some fun rewards. Our kids also play sports and enjoy the sport camps, still just a couple hours a day for a week at a time. They will also do VBS at a couple churches. My husband is a pastor and they always want to do at least one other church. They take turns going to Grandmas house for a few days at a time and she does fun things with each of them.

bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM
We don't schedule stuff either. We have passes to our local theme park so we will do that 2 to 3 days a week in the AM and then come home and swim in the pool or play outside. Last year we couldn't do a lot because of the baby but she is older now so she can go in the pool. SD will still have to read an hour a day and atleast two hours in order to use the computer or video games. I loom at the summer library programs as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra1023
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

My son participates in a reading at our local library every summer.  He loves it. 

asdenyesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:14 PM
I'm shipping my kids off to my mom's for all of july. This will be a first for us. She had them for a week once 4 years ago when she gave me a trip to AZ for sorting break as a college graduation present. Any other time we visited, I was with them the entire time. Maybe this will teach her to stop begging to 'have' my children and stop the kids from begging to move back to AL. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asdenyesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM
Oh but for the month of june, I've got local theme parks planned, sea world, and some reading camps.

Quoting asdenyesmom:

I'm shipping my kids off to my mom's for all of july. This will be a first for us. She had them for a week once 4 years ago when she gave me a trip to AZ for sorting break as a college graduation present. Any other time we visited, I was with them the entire time. Maybe this will teach her to stop begging to 'have' my children and stop the kids from begging to move back to AL. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)