Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you grow up?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 57 Replies

Were you a city kid? A country kid? Did you have a stay at home mom or dad? A latch key kid? Were you from everywhere but no where as a army brat? How was it and how does that make you who you are now?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3HappylKidds
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM
i grew up in the city with both my parents.. i hate the city now.
menmy2lilmen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I grew up on a dairy farm in North Easter Pa. My dad was a firm believer of kids helping and working and man did we work. I remember always having chores. Either feeding the calves or milking with my brothers. When we moved off the farm it was a huge change in our lives. We still lived in the county though. My dad was always self employed and therefore always around.

It made me different then some other becuase I have adifferent view of life and death and nature. On a farm you do not get attached to animals they die and life goes on. We learned extreme work ethics. My dad and our farm required it. You never could do something half way. Also I still enjoy living outside of the city. Although miss getting pizza delivered.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM

city for some I grew up on and off MV Mass and in Boston and my wish is to one day be back on the vineyard there is no where in the world like it!

asdenyesmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Army brat and country girl from a huge family. Even though we moved around a lot, we were always in the south, living out in the country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hepmommy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM
I was, and still am, a suburbanite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I had a rough childhood.. My mom has 4 kids.. Me & my sister have the same dad but the other 2 have different dads... My mom divorced my dad when I was 2 and he never wanted anything to do with me.. She married my ex step-dad in 1992.. He would beat on me and my little brother, beat the hell out of my mom... It was such a mess and he still beat my mom until December when they split up! I was raised in what city kids would call the country in West Virginia.. Small town, everyone knows everyone.. We were poor, we were miserable... I remember doing interviews with the welfare and my mom asking me to "not tell them" that my step dad beat us.. We were on PA all of my young life... My step-dad was always threatening to kill us and himself..

Now, looking back on my childhood, I am thankful because as soon as any man, no matter how much I was in love, hit my kids would be the last time.. I will and would stand up for my children and my life!! If DH ever hits me, he better run because I am a crazy bitch and I would probably beat the shit out of him.. He may win but I would still whip ass! He always calls me psycho.. hehe.. I will NEVER raise my children in the kind of household I grew up in...

wedding planning

LizardAgent
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I was a latchkey kid in the Hilltop neighborhood in Tacoma. If you lived in the Greater Seattle area, you'd know that Hilltop is a dangerous neighborhood, and was even worse in the 80's and early 90's. It toughened me up, and certainly made me appreciative of any money I got. 

friendlymom5
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM
I grew up with parents running from The law so we moved every few months. Until they we're caught then I went into foster care and group homes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I grew up in the country on land that was owned and farmed by my great-grandparents.  My mom was a SAHM and I had pretty much the idea childhood, not a care in the world and plenty of time to just be a kid.

Things are very similar for my boys.  We live on the same farm land, just a mile down the road in my grandparents' house.  I work from home, but take summers off to hang with the boys.  The only real change for my boys is that we have 2 vehicles so going places is much easier.  Also my cousin started farming again, there haven't been cattle on this land since my great-grandfather got to ill to tend them, so 25 years or so.  My boys like to go see the cows and like a pp mentioned they understand death very well.  They truely get that the cows and pigs are not pets, they are being raised for us to eat.

sandra1023
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Small town, both parents worked (though both worked regular 8-5 jobs).  Not technically a latch-key kid since our doors were never locked.  lol  My grandmother also lived right beside us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)